Thirty-Six

ARABELLA

The words ring through my mind over and over as I feel a bruise forming on my wrist from how tight Adam is holding it.

He moved on
He moved on
He moved on
He moved on.

"Here is your proof my darling." He uses that awful nickname I called him.

I don't cry.

I don't cry even though my heart feels like it's getting ripped from the inside out.

I deserve this, don't I?

I pushed him away, like the horrible girlfriend I am.

Now he is with someone who treats him right. I should be happy for him.

Stop being selfish and be happy for him.

"Don't you see Ara? You were never going to be a good girlfriend. Not to me and not to him. You are nothing."

His words echo in my mind, the words flowing through every part of my body, hitting my mind the hardest.

Why does he always get in my mind, why can't he leave?

Rico rolls his eyes with smile at something she said, causing her to smile at him and look at her mom.

Adam's mom.

My eyes can't tear away from them. They can't.

As he eats, his eyebrows scrunch and I can see him looking around. He must feel my eyes on him.

There is something about seeing the man you are in love with be with someone else, knowing that he could love them the same as he loved you.

I don't know if we were ever official, but it felt like it.

Just for a moment.

I can feel the pain in my wrist, why isn't he letting go?

I keep staring at Rico, hoping he sees me.

And then he does.

And life snaps back to the moment.

His eyes widen when they see mine, they then travel down my body until they land on my wrist that must be pretty bad now. His eyes trail from my wrist to the face of Adam.

Oh no.

The pain from my wrist come back to me and I whimper in pain. "A-Adam let go!" Something wet hits my hand and I realize I was crying.

I didn't feel the tears though.

Adam has a evil smirk on his face and let's go of my wrist, surprising me. My eyes widen at him and I see his eyes look over at Rico. I look at him too and I can see straight anger and pain in them.

The girl he is with looks confused until her eyes land on my wrist and she gasps.

I look down at what everyone seems to be staring at and my eyes widen. There is a purplish bruise on it and I can see it turned red, making it look puffy.

The pain seems normal, like I'm back in the house with Adam and his hits didn't hurt anymore. The only pain I feel is in my heart.

My eyebrows scrunch together and I look up at Adam. I'm caught off guard when I see a fist coming for my face and colliding with my cheek. My body flies off and hits the ground, a ringing tone in my ear.

"Holy shit! Someone call the cops!" I hear someone say.

I hear multiple footsteps, a elderly lady shouting "Adam what the hell do you think you are doing?!"

I hear certain footsteps, the pattern reminding me of Rico's.

I drift out of conscious for a moment and see black.

When I wake, I feel different hands touching me. My face in particular. "Someone call a doctor!"

My eyes slowly open and my head hurts.

"Rico! Stop it!" I hear a younger voice say, a girl voice. My heart hurts again as I hear her say his name.

My eyes close again and I drift out of conscious again.

I see black.

When I wake up, I'm in a truck.

My head feels more straight and I look up and see Rico. My beautiful Coco.

His eyes are a little bit watery and his hands have blood on them.

Just looking him causes tears to fall from my eyes. "Ri-Rico?" My voice is croaky and his eyes shine with clear tears.

"Shhh, don't talk Mi Amore, everything is going to be alright." My head is pounding and my wrist still hurts.

Nothing is alright.

Why is he with me and not his girlfriend? I'm not worth his tears or him.

Tears flow from my eyes and I sob, causing the headache to worsen. Stop crying.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I cover my eyes with one of my hands and try to catch my breath. My head is pounding.

"Ma'am please stop crying or the concussion will worsen." I hear someone say and my eyes widen.

Concussion??

Oh God.

It must've hit the ground when I fell.

Rico grabs a hold of my hand and brushing my hair away from my eyes. "Everything is going to be okay." He cups my face and I lean into his warmth.

The pounding hurts.

I drift off and see black again.
——————————————————————————