CHAPTER FOUR: Training

-----

'Just a little more.'Four year old little red dragon frowned in an attempt to focus on making his shield as sturdy as possible. He was sweating, his hands were shaking a little and his eyes were narrowed as if it would make him see this mana better. His mana's color was scarlet red, and yet only he could see how it also resembled his late mother's rose colored hair. Jour Thames Henituse was an amazing and mysterious Countess of the Henituse household. Everyone loves her, and everyone knows how kind she is and how she love her child.

But for barely eight year old Cale Henituse who is only turning four this year, like him, there is only handful of friends who are genuinely sad when she died. Other nobles were rejoicing as if their family will fall because of her passing.

Yet that didn't give them a reason to pick on his newest family member named Bassen, who only wanted to be a part of their family. So, naturally, Cale had to protect him and their youngest sister, Lilly. Putting all those attention to him by being the epitome of a trash bastard brought him no good though, so practicing his mana to be a sturdy shield than the strongest steel was his main goal for the most of his training sessions. Everytime his mentor, which he calls 'Goldie' or in rare times where he calls him 'Father', told him to practice an attack type spell he would grumble about it for the whole day.

That was why they put a schedule where he would practice any type of spell on weekdays and his shield for weekends. He convinced his guardian to do so after telling him that 'If someone has the sturdiest shield, all attacks, no matter how powerful, would be useless.'That was why he was here, spending his afternoon pushing himself to create an even more sturdy shield. Adding the fact that he's not only making it for himself but he created an almost fifty shields that resembled each other but made it almost three meters squared.

His current father kind of sent him an odd look at his sudden obsession at protection, but as someone whose brain can now manage the forty years worth of memories as an entirely different race and identity but still the same world, he was always agitated as if everything he does isn't always enough, it's not enough, it will never be enough-!

"You needed to rest your body in order to achieve greater things healthily. How the hell do you think you'll control your mana when your body is weakened? Huh?"His vision suddenly was blinded by a suspicious golden light that broke his focus and when his sight was cleared, he was back in the kitchen he was all too familiar with, remembering the times he woke up in the middle of a nightmare (That he now recognizes as memories of a life once lived, a life he failed to live) he'd sneak in there to 'steal' some cookies and the golden dragon would let him.

Said golden dragon was staring at him with a raised eyebrow as he gathered his mana to control some trays with his eyes still focused on the young dragon in front of him. It made the said young dragon in front of him huffed in annoyance because he would've stayed focus if he didn't whisk him away with a sudden teleportation to their home!

"But goldie! I needed to practice more for the future! What if there's a war that will happen? Go-hmmp!"

He was silence by a larger than normal cookie getting shoved in his mouth (gently, as if not to choke him because the cookie may be delicious but it's too big for a young dragon like him, goldie's words not his.)

"Hush, you power obsess kid. Eat your snacks."

As if to rebel, he 'hmmp!' and took a whole tray of the larger-than-normal cookies for himself and munch it all, not leaving any crumbs. Both of them knew it was childish, and both of them knew it wasn't as majestic but none cared and Eruhaben always lets him act like a child like he is, always lets him be and calls him out on his bullshit as if it's a normal thing to do. As if he really cared.