Chapter 2

Chapter 2

It was so hard for her to keep from stopping at the exhibits. The African American History and Culture Museum, The American History Museum, both had so much. And of course, her mind also pondered what each statue and mannequin would be like if they came to life. Afterall, who would have guessed Theodore Roosevelt would have a crush on Sacagawea? Thankfully, because of their current situation with things coming to life it was easy for her to refocus her mind and get back to her task. The African American History and Culture Museum was one of the newest buildings so she immediately crossed it off her mental list. Its security would be more likely to include high tech, she and Larry would have better chances with one of the older buildings.

That theory led her across the lawn to the Hirshhorn and after crossing the Sculpture Garden in front of it she headed inside the round building. It contained more contemporary art, like a statue of a 'big man' and a row of yellow and black tentacles rising from the floor. Canvases with various words written in paint sat on the clean white walls, one wall was covered in black with white sketch lines making images in between phrases. One caught her eye that read 'it's not the bullet that kills you – it's the hole.' True she supposed as she shook her head and carried on.

From the Hirshhorn she made her way to the Castle as it's brick-colored walls and ancient structure just called to her. But that might be the Potterhead in her. She passed several more exhibits but these seemed more spaced out to also display the beauty of the castle's structure – it was a piece of history too after all.

It's floor and windows were like paintings that had been put together like intricate puzzles and were polished until they shone in the sun. That's when she noticed the hue of the rays. They were more golden and she quickly turned to the nearest window and tried to get a descent look outside. Even though she couldn't see through the stained-glass mosaics to confirm it, she had a horrible feeling the sun was already going down. Grabbing her phone again she looked at the clock then unlocked the screen to open the weather app and check what time sundown was. 6:03pm. And it was 4:20 now.

Trying to control her anxiety she carried on looking for doors with security locks. She spotted a couple and there were no guards standing by any posts near them so that was a good sign.

Passing a few more display cases she turned the next corner and entered the largest room in the building. Across from her was a deep green stone. . . something with a sculpture standing at its center. As she approached she noticed it wasn't a person, it was a carving of a sarcophagus. She stepped right up to the rope and looked at the sign beside it.

'Gate of Kahmunrah' it read. She swallowed thickly, her throat suddenly dry. 'Mythic Door to the Underworld'.

Great.

She turned away and headed for a display case with a large stone vase in it as she dialed Larry.

"Anna." He answered on the first ring.

"I found something. It's in the Smithsonian Castle. And this might be our best bet to the Archives."

"Okay, I'm on my way." He said before hanging up.

Anna turned and looked over her shoulder again at the gate then she turned and made another lap through the castle, trying to keep her nerves distracted by the exhibits.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the museum will be closing in one hour." The PA system announced just as she made it back to the hall before the atrium. She stopped, knowing she didn't want to see that creepy gate again by herself, so she planted her body in front of the last display case in the hall.

"Larry, where are you?" she muttered through nervously clenched teeth as she started tapping her foot again, her heel bouncing against the slate covered floor. She pretended to look at the display in the glass case behind her, the one featuring Al Capone. The young version of the mobster reminded her of Shane from the Walking Dead which, inadvertently brough her mind back to the Gate to the Underworld.