Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The trio rushed up the steps and back to the main floor. Amelia, who had clearly become more familiar with everything as she'd been running about, led the way back to the main hall. When they got there though someone else was already there with their back to the trio and a golden tablet in their hand.

"Larry!" Anna shouted when she spotted him across the gallery.

"There you are! Are you all right?" Amelia asked reaching him first, "I've been worried sick! Sick I tell you."

"No, I'm fine."

"What happened?" Anna questioned. Larry still had the tablet and he looked unscathed. There was no way Kahmunrah let him walk out of there without a scratch. Something was up.

"Kahmunrah couldn't get the gate open. He needs the combination. If we don't get it in an hour Jed dies."

Anna leaned in and whispered, "Can they die?"

"I don't know, but I don't want to find out."

"So what's our next move, partner?" Amelia asked getting back in on the conversation.

"I don't know I just need to get this tablet translated." Larry looked at the carvings, "Billy can you read this?"

Both Anna and Billy stopped walking and gave Larry identical looks of 'Really?' Billy was the first one to compose himself enough to speak.

"It's not in Spanish is it?" Billy asked.

"Nope."

"Then sorry I can't help you there." Larry turned and continued on, Amelia followed and Billy looked to Anna and pointed his thumb at Larry's back giving her another 'Seriously' sort of look.

"He has his moments." She shrugged it off. After all Larry did get slapped by a monkey a lot, maybe Dexter had finally taken one too many swings at him.

Suddenly a huge tentacle blocked their path. "Oh great. This guy again. Look buddy, we don't want any trouble all right?"

But the octopus just sat there taking deep breaths. It looked on the verge of death itself. Larry noticed too and passed the tablet to Amelia before grabbing a painting of the sea. Doing the same move Anna had with the crying lady he chucked the water from the canvas onto the octopus.

The creature made happy little squealing noises as he rubbed his tentacles all over himself.

"Hmm, look at that! I guess our sassy cephalopod was just a fish who didn't like being out of water. He's not such a ballywagger after all."

"Hello!" A familiar voice caught their attention, "Little assistance!"

Larry led the way down the hall until he exclaimed, "Teddy!"

Anna rushed forward eager to see a familiar face. Though when she caught up Teddy wasn't as familiar as she'd thought. He was a bust, no body, just a head and shoulders. And he was completely made of bronze.

"Maybe you can help us."

"I'd love to help you, but first things first. My nose is so itchy it's driving me insane. I hate to ask, but, as you see, I'm missing a few body parts. Could you please give us a scratch?"

"Yeah sure." Larry complied, after everything Teddy back in New York had helped him with, nose scratching was an easy one.

"Sweet rutabaga pie, that was divine. Theodore Roosevelt, at your service."

"Twenty-sixth President of the United States, Rough Rider, founder of the National Parks and a whole bunch of other stuff." Larry rattled off like a tour guide.