Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Getting Billy on a plane was much easier when there wasn't a fight headed your way. Larry had everyone buddy up so no one got left behind in Washington and naturally Billy stuck by Anna's side. He helped her onto the plane like a gentleman and held onto her the whole ride so she wouldn't be jostled, especially during turbulence.

Anna drifted in and out, the exhaustion of the night finally catching up with her. Occasionally, Billy's hand would rub up and down her arm as she'd snuggle deeper into his hold. When she was awake she'd ask him for stories that no history book had ever been able to record. He told her about dances he'd gone to, jokes his friends had made around campfires, memories with his mother, he even sang softly to her. And he was good.

When given the chance to talk about whatever he wished her mind noted that he didn't speak of guns or fighting, he talked about having fun. Overall, he was just a good, fun loving young man who'd been given horrible things to deal with in life.

She was happy that his good memories were so clear and plentiful.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your point of view, it was a short flight but they did land in the street with plenty of time to spare before dawn. Amelia had targeted their landing perfectly and the plane stopped right in front of the museum.

"All right, come on guys." Larry instructed once he'd hopped out, "Remember, stay with your buddy alright."

The cavemen all got out first, followed by the Huns, then Sacagawea and the miniatures. Billy stepped out first then turned and offered Anna his hand. She took it with her good arm and as she stepped down Billy grabbed her shoulder to keep her steady as she regained her balance. Then Larry approached them.

"Anna, do me a favor, go inside and just do a headcount for me?" He asked jabbing his thumb over his shoulder to the front door.

"Sure." She nodded before turning to Billy who lingered by the plane door. He nodded encouragingly at her to go. She hesitated but slowly moved on, her hand sliding out of his. When she climbed the steps and went inside she couldn't shake just how wrong it felt to not have Billy next to her after he'd been like her shadow for the past several hours.

At the bottom of the stairs Larry stopped and passed the tablet to Dexter who carried it inside. Then he rested his hands on his hips contemplating what came next.

He couldn't keep them hidden in the basement forever, especially since he didn't work there anymore. But there had to be something he could do, he'd made thousands of dollars, and if money was what made the world go round there should be something he could do to help his friends.

As he thought up a plan Amelia exited the plane and stood by Billy.

"Quite the adventure." She commented gazing up at the museum.

"I'll say."

"Maybe we can find a nice spot to watch the sunrise from B Level." She suggested referring to their return to storage.

Billy chuckled and shook his head, "Not me, Miss Earhart. I intend to see as much as I can before dawn, and wherever I end up I end up. I just hope it's someplace beautiful."

"I like your moxie Kid. You and I would have gotten along well." She replied smiling. Then the grin slowly slid from her face and she turned to Billy. "However I'm going to have to put a damper on those plans of yours." He turned to her confused, "You remember that sassy cephalopod?"

"A fella don't forget a peculiar thing like that. What about him?"

"I heard Mr. Daley talkin' when he let the big guy into the pond. Kid," she rested her hand on his shoulder, "If we don't get back to our museum by dawn, we'll turn to dust."