Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"Look a little nervous there Ramen noodle!" Jed called from inside the hourglass. He was buried in sand above his shoulders now but that hadn't stopped his smart remarks. "Cuz for me this is like a spa treatment. Sand bath is rejuvenating for the skin. Exfoliates."

From his Archie Bunker throne Kahmunrah sat waiting for Larry Daley. He'd been certain the man's loyalty to his friends would be enough motivation for him to do as the Pharaoh commanded. But now with minutes left he was starting to get nervous - and needed a distraction.

"Giving up yet?"

He smirked at the little cowboy, "Oh, not quite yet, no. In fact." He picked up the hourglass, "Let's see if we can't make time fly, eh?"

He began to tap the glass with his palm making the sand shake and get closer to the little man's chin.

He chuckled as he enjoyed the game. Then a buzzing sound reached his ears and he paused.

"What is that funny sound?"

Suddenly the window shattered and he was thrown forward as the spruce and canvas plane crashed into the room. Kahmunrah rolled down his pile of treasures as the plane scratched its way across the floor and smashed into a display case at the other side of the room.

Before it made contact Larry tumbled out with the tablet clenched in his hand. He hurried to stand up and rushed toward the plane as an antique rug from the case folded itself over the aircraft.

"STOP!" Kahmunrah commanded making Larry halt his steps. He kept his back to the ancient Egyptian though, at least until Amelia poked her head around the rug and gave him a nod letting him know she was okay. Once he was certain of that he turned to Kahmunrah who was approaching. Unfortunately, the hourglass hadn't broken with the window, otherwise Jed would be free and the Pharaoh would have lost his only leverage.

"Well, well, well, well you certainly know how to make an entrance Mr. Daley." Kahmunrah said as he stepped down from his mountain of treasures and approached the night guard. "I hope for your little friend's sake here, that you also figured out the combination."

"Give me Jed!" Larry demanded reaching for the hourglass. But Kahmunrah pulled his hand back keeping it out of reach.

"Oh, no, no, no. First give me the combination and hand over that tablet."

This time Larry pulled what Kahmunrah desired out of his reach, refusing the Pharaoh, "I'll give you the tablet and the combination when you release my friends and give him back to me."

"I shall release what I want to release, the moment I want to release it."

"Great, and I'll release what I want to release at the exact moment I want to release it. Okay?" Larry bargained.

"Tell me the combination, and give me that tablet, right now or I shall kill all your friends. Starting with the little shaggy headed cowman."

"I ain't shaggy headed!" Jed yelled from behind the glass, "Gigantor let me take this guy out!"

"Don't worry, I've got this handled." Larry assured him before turning to Kahmunrah, "You don't want to give me my friends, then you're not gonna get your combination or your tablet."

"All right, I'll tell you what, they didn't call me Kahmunrah the Trustworthy for nothing, here you go – THEY DIDN'T CALL ME KAHMUNRAH THE TRUSTWORTHY! They called me Kahmunrah the Bloodthirsty who kills whoever does not give Kahmunrah exactly what he wants in the moment that he wants it! Which is right now! When I also better get the combination and the tablet!"