Chapter 16

Chapter 16

They all followed Larry who took out his flashlight and led them out of storage and into a main hall. It wasn't like the Smithsonian, which had been lit up and easy to see. Here all she could tell were silhouettes of people, some stone pillars the lined the hall with busts propped on the top. With nothing but emergency lights on in whatever wing they'd entered there were plenty of shadows making the carved faces and heads look even creepier – not to mention that they were now moving. Anna's hold on Billy's free hand tightened knowing it would help calm her nerves so she could focus. Looking tough be damned, she needed to keep her head on straight.

It made her feel less like a frightened damsel when Attila muttered something in his native tongue that sounded very frightened himself.

"I know it's spooky big guy just stay close." Larry whispered as he led them through a doorway. Immediately they all halted, thoroughly creeped out, as at least a dozen or more statues all turned to them. Billy's right hand stayed poised on his gun in case he had to draw to defend them.

"What kind of haunted hootenanny is this boys?" Jedidiah asked.

"Anna?" Larry asked.

"They look like the Parthenon statues." She whispered softly in response. "Old. Greek. And many of them broken."

The grey skin and missing limbs made it look like some sick morgue of collected bodies. The confused and sad faces of the statues as they looked to their group for answers only added to the freakiness. Most were missing arms, some were even missing heads and mulled around blindly. One even limped over to them holding his wrists in front of him. the flat stubs left an empty space where his hands and fingers shoulder be and the look on his face as he stared at them confused asked 'where are my hands?'

"We're all finding this super creepy right?" Nicky asked as Larry slowly led them forward so they wouldn't scare any of the statues that hobbled around them.

"They're just a little freaked out." Larry explained as they made it to the opposite end of the room.

"First time we came alive it took some getting used to." Teddy chimed in sticking by Larry with Sacagawea to his other side.

From behind them Billy turned, "Really? Amelia and I had it down pretty quick."

Everyone stopped and looked at The Kid. Larry, Nick, Teddy and Sacagawea glanced over their shoulders while Attila, Ahkmenrah, Jed and Octavious' eyes bore holes into Billy's back.

"Just sayin'." He shrugged. Thankfully one statue got too close which took everyone's attention off Billy. The sculpture reached out, it's flat wrist nearly brushing Attila's arm as the Hun leaned back out of reach.

"Hey there, just uh, just heading to Egypt." Larry greeted the confused looking man as the rest of the group passed behind him and into the next hall.

When they left the statues behind Anna let go of Billy's hand, now filled with relief at being out of there. This new hall was brighter lit though the animal heads nailed to the wall with tusks and horns wasn't too welcoming. But at least the heads would stay where they were and wouldn't come any closer. And, as odd as it was, Anna felt comforted by the animals. They looked like they were sticking their heads through holes in the wall rather than being mounted. Their big brown eyes looked down at her and the others with curiosity. Anna wondered if any of them were searching for someone to give them a pat on the head. She reached out, the nearest creature being a spotted leopard, and he scratched behind its ears. It made a soothing purr as it leaned into her touch making her smile.

A loud thudding drew their attention and Anna wondered if she'd had that thought too soon.

Larry raised a hand and they all stopped, "Hear that?"