Thirty-Seven

ARABELLA

My eyes slowly open and blinding lights fill my vision. I hear a distant beeping noise and realize I'm in the hospital.

"R-Rico?" I croak out, hoping a certain deep voice would respond.

I feel a hand reach out and grasp my own, making me jump slightly.

"I'm here Mi Amore, does your head hurt?" His familiar voice whispers.

I nod my head, my throat feeling too dry to talk.

He brushes my hair out of my face and stares into my eyes. My eyes get used to the light and my eyes shine as I stare into his deep grey eyes.

Eyes that I'm in love with.

"Wa-Water" I rub my throat and he quickly nods and presses the button for the nurses.

"I will get you a cup after the nurses come in here." He nods and rubs his hand over my cheek, making me smile at him.

I don't deserve him.

My cheek aches and I remember that Adam punched me.

Not anything too new.

"Wh-Where is he?" Rico's eyes darken in anger at this.

He growls, "in another room somewhere in here. He should be in jail instead of getting treatment for his wounds." He stares at the ground in anger and I tighten my hold on his hand, hoping to calm him down.

But then I remember and let go of his hand.

His eyes scrunch together and try to hold my hand again but I pull it back. "Rico where is yo-your girlfriend?" Saying it hurts my heart.

He looks confused for a moment before they widen. "No! She isn't my girlfriend." He sighs and now I'm confused.

I tilt my head and he sighs again but more loudly, "it's complicated, but we aren't together. I just- needed to move on from a certain girl."

Me. He needed to move on from me.

His pained eyes look at me and I hold eye contact for a minute before looking away.

I want to leave.

I need to leave.

I sit up, my head pounding so hard. I feel nauseous.

Rico's eyes widen, "Bella lay back down." He reaches for me but I lean away.

If he wants to move on, why is he here with me?

I pull out all the cords in me and get out of bed, stumbling a little bit.

Rico's eyes look angry and worried, "Arabella lay back down." He says in a deep tone but I ignore him, trying to leave.

I hear a nurse knock on the door and then she walks in.

"Oh!" She passed me trying to leave and Rico blocked the way.

"Ma'am please lay back down." She says in a calm voice and I shake my head, trying to leave but Rico won't move.

"Let me leave, I'm fine." I glare at them but they just stare at me worried.

I hate that look.

"I feel fine, let me go." I try walking but stumble a bit, causing Rico to grab me.

"Let. Me. Go!" I struggle out of his grasp and he just holds me tight against him.

"Shhh it's okay Mi Amore, just breathe. In and out." He brushes his hands through my hair while keeping a strong grip on me.

"Let me go..." I whisper and he just stays silent and rocks me.

He knows me too well.

I feel tears fall from my face and I relax against him, his smell having me under his spell.

Comfort.

That's all I feel when I'm with him.

I breathe in and out, following what he says.

"Let's lay back down." He whispers and I nod.

He picks me up and carries me back to the hospital bed. He gently sets me down and I sigh.

That was embarrassing.

The nurse looks at the two of us before walking forward and clearing her throat. "Okay well Ms. Arabella, you have a bad concussion and will need lots of time to heal. Your wrist will also need a good amount of time to heal. It has intense bruising and could've been broken, luckily it didn't."

I look at the ground the whole time, finding each tile very interesting.

I zone out as I feel Rico's hand rubbing my back, basking in how his hands feel against me.

"You will be able to leave hopefully tomorrow morning." She smiles at me and I look away.

When she finally leaves, I lay down and turn to my side.

I hate my life.

I hate it so much.

I sniff and try not to cry, I need to stop being a baby.

I feel the bed dip and a strong arm pulls me against a body.

I turn to my other side and face him. He is so beautiful.

We don't speak, just stare into the eyes of each other.

I don't know where I would be if I didn't have him. He means so much to me.

I lean in and kiss him, thinking he would pull away. Instead, he grabs my neck and pulls me closer to him, his arms snaked around my waist.

He licks my bottom lip and I open my mouth, letting the kiss go deeper.

He groans and rubs up and down my back.

I love you.

He freezes under me and looks me in the eyes, "what?"

Oh, freak.
———————————————————————————