Chapter 4: Echo

Liana arrives at a crime scene because there was an explosion and she sees Clark come out a phonebooth and she says, "Hey

Liana arrives at a crime scene because there was an explosion and she sees Clark come out a phonebooth and she says, "Hey." Clark says, "Hey." As Liana goes to step on top of the police car to walk over, she slips, and Clark catches her. Liana looks down at Clark's arm and she thinks, "Oh, wow. I have missed these arms." Clark looks at her confused and then he puts her down. Liana hops over the two cars and he says, "What'd you just say?" Liana says, "Nothing. Your hearing's probably on the fritz." Later, Liana's at the Daily Planet waiting for the elevator, and she thinks, "God, I am I dragging ass today. I should go for coffee. No, no, what I actually need is a B12 shot. I have to keep up with Clark. You know, you got to remember what Lois always says, "On certain days you wear certain underwear." And out of the days you decided to go with a thong." The elevator opens and she sees Clark. Liana smiles and says, "Hey, Smallville." Liana walks into the elevator and presses the bottom and Clark looks at Liana and says, "You're in a good mood today." Liana smiles says, "I have to be." They walk out of the elevator and Liana continues to say, "The word on the street is, the bomber isn't the one who flipped the switch. It was on a timer." Clark says, "Why would the bomb be on a timer?" Liana sits at her desk and says, "I don't know, I'm not a mind reader. Why would you take hostages and not make any demands?" Liana checks her computer, and she thinks, "No voicemails. No e-mails." Clark leans toward Liana and says, "Liana." Liana says, "Computer's frozen again." Liana looks back at Jeff with a pout and she thinks, "Doesn't help that stupid intern, Jeff took the last stupid maple doughnut from the the stupid doughnut box." Clark speeds to get the doughnut and then speeds back and holds it out to Liana and says, "Here you go. My eyes are bigger than my stomach this morning." Liana smiles and says, "Thanks, Clark." Liana takes a bite into the doughnut and softy moans. Liana grabs the file in Clark's hands and says, "Why ever, whoever did what he did, he couldn't have picked a less interesting place to have done it. Run-of-the-mill textile factory?" Clark says, "Run-of-the-mill textile factory which is a subsidiary of Queen Industries. You think it'd be enough to get Oliver's attention." Liana looks at Clark and thinks, "That only matters if Ollie's sober enough to give a crap." Clark says, "You might be right." Liana says, "What did you say?" Clark says, "What?" Liana says, "What?" Later, Liana and Clark go to the hospital to speak with one of the hostages and Liana softly says, "Listen, we just need one answer. You were actually a hostage, right? This is going nowhere." Clark says, "It's okay, you can talk to us. We're not INS." The woman turns to them and says, "I am sorry. I saw a man." Liana and Clark go speak with another hostage and Liana writes in her notes and she says, "Okay, so let me get this straight you're saying the guy who took you hostage was short and fat but also tall?" The man says, "Yeah, uh, way taller than your boyfriend there. Um, thin. Thin like a rail." Clark says, "It's clear that this is the most excitement you've had probably ever. Now you can mislead us but interfering with a police investigation to keep yourself in the limelight will only land you in jail. Is that understood?" Liana smirks impressed with Clark and the man says, "Sorry. I didn't see anything." Later, Liana goes to get food for Clark, and she walks up to him and says, "I haven't seen you eat a thing all day. Owed you from earlier." Clark opens the bag and sees a doughnut and he says, "Oh, look as this. Thanks for taking care of me." Liana says, "Wait." Liana grabs the doughnut and takes a bite and then gives it back to Clark. Liana chews the doughnut and says, "Now we're even. What else did you find out?" As their walking the hall of the hospital, Clark says, "Mr. Murphy... our mystery man's puppet, just got out of surgery. He's still unconscious." Liana says, "Well, I've hit enough dead ends for today. Really no reason for us to keep hanging out here then, huh?" Clark says, "You're absolutely right. Why don't we just call it a night?" Liana nods and says, "That's good. I have plans." Liana turns to walk away and thinks, "A lifetime movie and some Cookie Dough or Rocky Road. Maybe both." Clark says, "Liana." Liana stops walking and faces Clark. Clark says, "I was hoping that we could grab something to eat tonight once we finished up. You know, you said yourself I hadn't eaten all day." Liana thinks, "Is Clark asking me out on a date?" Clark says, "I'm not saying we should go on a date." Liana frowns and sadly thinks, "Oh." Clark says, "Just something like a date." Liana smiles and says, "As sweet as that sounds Smallville, this is Metropolis on a Saturday night. We aren't getting anywhere without a reservation." Liana thinks, "Except maybe the Horse Derby downtown, but there's no way..." Clark says, "We could probably still get tickets to the Horse Derby down at the Metropolis Derby Track. It doesn't start for a few more hours." Liana smiles and says, "I'll meet you there." Clark smiles and Liana walks away excited for her date with Clark. Later, Liana's in her robe trying to find an outfit for her date when she hears a knock on the door and she says, "Coming!" Liana opens the door and says, "Chloe." Chloe sees Liana's makeup done and she says, "Wow, look at you. Where are you going?" Liana opens the door for Chloe to come in and she says, "Horse Derby." Chloe says, "Okay, I've seen you go to many horse derby's and this is definitely more than that. Who's the prince charming?" Liana says, "Uh, funny enough Clark." Chloe says, "Really? You guys are getting back together?" Liana smiles and says, "Yeah, I think so. I honestly missed being with him. He picked what I what I have been wanting to do for weeks. We've been on the same wavelength like all day today." Chloe says, "I'll bet. Sort of like he's been reading your mind? Like he's hearing things you've never actually said out loud?" Liana looks at Chloe weird and says, "Yeah, how did you know?" Chloe sighs and says, "Because he has, Liana." Liana tilts her head and says, "What do you mean?" Chloe says, "When he saved those hostages, he's super hearing got messed up and he's been hearing other people's thoughts, including yours." Liana says, "Oh, my God." Chloe feels so bad for Liana, and she says, "I'm sorry." Liana says, "No, thank you for telling me. I can't believe he would do such a thing to me." Chloe wraps Liana into hug and rubs her back and says, "What are you going to do?" Liana says, "I'm going to tell him that I know." Chloe pulls away from the hug and says, "Good luck." After Chloe leaves, Liana takes off her makeup and gets dressed to meet Clark.