Chapter 11: Absolute Justice, Society, and Legends

Chloe steps out a coffee shop in Metropolis and is trying to get ahold of Clark, but he's not answering, and she leaves a message saying, "Clark, this is Chloe with message number one-too-many. Look, I know trying to lead a contingent of Kryptonians looking for a new lease on life is putting a lot of weight on your shoulders and I don't want to add to that but I'm still trying to set up an official meeting with our super gang. Clark, we're playing too fast and loose. We need to start taking this more seriously." Chloe then hears static on her phone and then the whole streetlights turn off. Chloe turns around and then looks up to see a figure on the fire escape. The figure beams a bright yellow light and Chloe runs away. As Chloe runs away, she runs through an alley, but the figure blocks her path and she says, "Who are you?" The man says, "My name is Sylvester Pemberton. You and I share something in common. We're both trying to put a team together." Chloe says, "I don't know what you're talking about." Sylvester says, "You're the one they call Watchtower." Chloe says, "Watchtower?" Sylvester says, "Technology today makes hiding a whole lot harder, Miss Sullivan. When someone like you reaches out and plugs into so many outlets someone else is bound to pull out one of those cords and follow it back to its source. You're lucky a friend did it first." Chloe says, "Friends? Friends don't sneak up on each other in a dark alley." Then it starts to get windy and cold, and Chloe says, "Is it just me or did it get really cold really fast?" Then Sylvester puts Chloe into a trash bin, and she says, "Hey!" Sylvester looks down and says, "Stay down. Miss Sullivan." Then he closes the bin. Chloe shields her eyes when she sees a flash of light and then sees a bunch of holes coming through the bin and then sees an icicle. Chloe tries to see what's going on, but everything's blurry and she ducks and covers her head. Then the noise stops, and she lifts the bin, that's frozen up and gets out. Chloe walks over to Sylvester to see him bleeding and she yells, "Help! Somebody, help!" Chloe lifts Sylvester's head and he weakly says, "They came after us. They'll come after all of you. Che... Check." Chloe says, "What? Check what? Check what?" Then Sylvester dies and Chloe says, "Who are you? Who's coming?" Later, Chloe's at the hospital getting checked out and she sees Clark. Clark walks over and he says, "Chloe, are you okay?" Chloe says, "Yeah. Just some moderate frostbite and a little sleep deprivation. Nothing a cup of hot cocoa and a nap won't fix. But the real questions is, are you okay? I haven't heard from you in days." Clark says, "Yeah, we've been playing phone tag." Chloe says, "Uh, no, phone tag implies two people. I've been playing phone solitaire. Not nearly as much fun." As Chloe checks herself out of the hospital, Clark says, "I'm sorry. I've been meaning to call." Chloe says, "Clark, it's okay. No apology is needed. Protecting the streets of Metropolis is more than enough to juggle. Add to that you're now leading the secret city of Kandor." Clark says, "I'm only helping them find their place here. They're trying to make earth their home. Like John Jones did when he got a job in the police department and became a detective." Chloe says, "So, what, you're expecting the Kandorians to just become firemen and short-order cooks?" Clark says, "They need to make their own lives and then move on from there." Chloe hears a voice say, "Officer?" Chloe looks at Sylvester's belongings and the officer says, "Yes." The female nurse says, "Uh, these are the recovered personals." Clark says, "Who was he?" Chloe says, "His name was Sylvester Pemberton but other than that, I haven't got a clue. But I'm gonna get one." Chloe walks up to the officer, and she says, "Hi, again. I just wanted to make sure you have all my contact info in case you need anything else." The officer says, "I think we're all set, Miss Sullivan. Thank you." While Chloe was distracting the officer, she downloaded everything off Sylvester's phone onto hers. Chloe walks back over to Clark to hear a woman say, "Just stay the hell away from me!" Chloe says, "What was that drama about?" Clark says, "She obviously has a problem with reporters. She's friends with Sylvester Pemberton." Chloe says, "Pemberton knew about Watchtower. He wore some kind of weird uniform. He had a weapon that could control light. He was killed by ice. From someone or something. I'm getting some serious Wall of Weird flashbacks here, Clark. I know that you have a lot of things pressing right now but this is a job for Clark Kent. His final phone call lasted 30 minutes. It was with a guy named Wesley Dodds. You need to go check it out."