The essence of betrayal

Konohagakure no sato. Council chamber…

"What the fuck is this?!" Orochimaru shouted, loosing his temper quickly.

Some nameless council member stood up. "We of the civilian council have decided that it is time for us to leave the village."

"Say what?!"

"You can't do that!" Hinata hissed. "You are an important part of the village's system! Without you…"

"No." The council member interrupted. "You ninjas made a mistake seventeen years ago. We told you to kill that demon right after the sealing, but no! You had to do everything your way! So it is you who should bear the consequences, not us!"

"But hold it!" Yamanaka Inoichi spoke. "You can't just leave. Besides, there is no guarantee that…"

"No, fuck it." Surprisingly it came from Orochimaru.

"W-What?" Even civilians themselves were shocked.

"I said fuck it." The snake sannin repeated. "You want to leave? Go ahead; you'll only be in the way when he comes. You're not worthy to save anyway…" With that he turned around and started to walk away.

"But Orochimaru…!" Hinata called.

"I said let them leave. We have enough problems as it is." Orochimaru spat. "I would've ordered to kill them, but right now we don't have this much time to spare…"

Sasuke's house…

"So… you're really going?" Sakura asked as she and Sasuke were lying on his bed, hugging each other.

"I must…" The last Uchiha replied. "If I won't stop Naruto then no one will. You heard what Athena said."

"I heard, yes, but…" Sakura frowned. "Do you really think he can become more powerful than gods themselves?"

Sasuke ran a hand through his hair. "This is Naruto we're talking about. The man who made the entire world believe that he is a loudmouthed idiot wearing orange."

Sakura held a pause. "Sasuke?"

"Hmm?"

"I wanted to ask you…"

"About what?"

"About your mother…"

Sasuke's eyes widened at this. "What do you want to know about her?"

Sakura bit her lower lip. "Do you… Do you believe what Naruto said?"

"I…" He hesitated. "Naruto said many things… Some of them were really hard to believe. But you know… I don't really care whether it was true or not. If I'll try to think about it, it will only play to Naruto's advantage."

"And that is correct." Athena said, appearing in the room. "Never believe that man's words."

"Damn!" Sasuke exclaimed, covering himself and Sakura with a blanket. "Do you have any shame?"

"You do not need to concern yourself, Uchiha Sasuke. Your personal affairs mean nothing to me."

"Yeah, but they mean something to me!" Sasuke snapped. "Can you show some more tact?!"

"You called me, tact is irrelevant right now. Time is what matters."

"Wait, I didn't call you."

"You did, you thought about me."

"But that's not…!"

"Athena-san?" Sakura interrupted.

"Yes?"