Chapter 1: Mourning morning

I feel numb. I feel cold. I feel like I haven't slept for ages. My eyes are swollen and red from all the crying. I have cried so much in the past day that I don't even have any tears left to shed. The only thing that tells me I'm still alive is the pain in my heart. It's too much for me to handle. I hate to think that my father won't be there for me anymore.

"Catherine, it's time. Let's go." My aunt Caroline passed me a weak smile. Trying to be strong for me.

But I know after her sister's death, the only thing that kept her from moving on was dad. She always thought that her sister would appreciate her taking care of us if she was gone. She always thought that her big sister would be proud of her and that she was now all grown up. But now she blames herself for not taking better care of him.

I walk down the stairs, dressed in black. I have always loved the color black, but today, I despise it. My friends are sitting in the drawing room. As soon as they hear me enter, they get up and turn to look at me with sad similes. I don't even have the energy to smile back. I don't blame them, though. It's the first time they have seen my face since I got back from the hospital. I was locked in my room the whole two days, didn't eat or sleep. I was just lying on the bed, clutching the family photograph to my chest the whole time. Sterling takes a step towards me, but I completely dismiss him and go out the door. I hear Aunt Carol justifying my behavior.

I'm now sitting in front of my father's grave, everyone left long ago. I don't even know what time it is. I just stare at the stone which has engraved "here lies a loving father, husband and son." I trace the word with my hand.

Lying down next to the grave with my father's favorite flowers in my hand, I recall my best moment with him.....

FLASH BACK TO WHEN CATHERINE WAS 6:

"Daddy, don't let go just yet. I will fall, " I shout as the wind blows my hair back.

"I won't, I won't. Just try, sweetie. I know you can ride it yourself. " I hear him shout as he pushes my cycle forward, and I peddle away.

"I will, but just this once can you keep on holding? Daddy, please?" I whine.

"Alright, alright," he says before he let goes.

"No, daddy, I'm not ready yet," I pout, tears falling from my eyes.

Laughing, he says "look you're doing great. Just like that."

Noticing I was ridding the cycle by myself, I laughed and took a turn as I peddled away towards my daddy, who was waving at me. I clutch the breaks and turn to look at him.

"I did it, Daddy, I did it. Did you see it?" I jump up and down squealing.

"Yeah, you did kiddo, how about some ice cream?" he smiles.

"Yes, I want the chocolate one with, with, oh can I get extra topping daddy, oh please daddy..." I ramble on and on. While he ruffles my hair and laughs.

"You can get whatever you want," he smiles.

"I wasn't mad then, for you letting go, but I am now," I frown.

FLASH BACK TO WHEN CATHERINE WAS 12:

I fall with a quiet thud, as I sneak back into my room at three in the morning.

"Oh shit!" I curse myself from being so loud, waiting a second just to see if anyone was up. When I was assured no one was, I jumped on my bed, lying on my back as I stared at the celling. Just when the lights turn on, I jump up now sitting. I gasped when I spotted my dad on my study chair.