Chapter 8: Something unfamiliar but nice

We were sitting on the rooftop, both our last periods were physical education and the teacher was too busy training the basketball team for the upcoming tournament, so instead of sitting on the benches with others, we came up here for some privacy and I started telling him about the ambush last night. I've made up my mind of keeping the least secrets I could from him, and I'm gonna stand by it. I'm not gonna let some stupid lies get between us. I know Sterling can handle this, and even though he would be worried about me, I trust him enough to understand me.

After I finished telling Sterling about the auburn girl last night, he seemed confused, furious, and skeptical.

“Have you told anyone about this?” He asks

“Of course not. I want to know who’s behind this. And right now, I can't afford to lose this lead to the police because it might be the only lead I have. Plus, I have my suspicions on who might’ve sent them.” I say

“I know, but don’t you think it’s a little too dangerous to use yourself as a bait? I mean, for all you could know, this woman could be an assassin, sent to kill you or something.” He says, actually worried.

This makes me laugh, and I laugh harder after taking in his expression, which speaks serious. I’ve been laughing for thirty seconds, I look up to his face, and it has changed from confused to annoyed. I straightened up but then double over laughing again. He lets out a huff of breath.

“What is so funny?” He asks, frowning.
“Assassin? Sterling you’re going to have to be more creative than that? I mean, what could possibly make you think she could be an assassin? Have you been watching a lot of thriller movies lately? I get that you’re concerned, but she can't be an assassin or killer. I can say that for a fact. I mean, if she was a killer, she would’ve done that already. They were following me for heaven’s sake. Secondly, if she was a professional, there could’ve been no way I would’ve survived the fight against her. Plus, I think I know what I’m doing, and I can say for sure that this isn’t the last time I will be seeing this woman.” I say.

“Okay, if you’re saying you know what you’re doing, then I trust you, but you have to be careful” he says taking my hand in his he laces his fingers with mine, I look at him and he smiles softly back at me. I blush and look away.
When I turn back to look at him again, he’s still staring at me with a strange look in his eyes. I can’t place my finger on it.
My eyes flicker to his lips and then back to his eyes. He’s staring at my lips, too. The next moment is a complete blur, I feel color rush to my cheeks as he cups the side of my face and starts to lean in. We close the space as our lips touch for the first time. Our lips move in sync with my one hand in his, and the other tangled in his hair as I kiss him back. We break apart for air, and he grins at me as I smile shyly back at him.
That was my first kiss. Hell, he’s my first boyfriend. I’ve never felt so timid before. It’s embarrassing and exciting at the same time. I stare at his bright green orbs and close mine as we lean for another one, but just then, the bell rings, and we spring apart. He stands up, rubbing the back of his neck he offers me his hand, and taking it, I pull myself up.

Keeping our hands twined, we walked down to the school halls. It was no secret that we were dating, but we never really felt the need to show it.
We walk to his bike. He puts the helmet on my head and lacks its place, and then putting his own, he starts the engine, and I hop on. Leaning against his back, I hesitantly wrap my fingers around his stomach. And lean my head against his back, closing my eyes. I smile.

“We’re here” Sterling says. I unattached myself from him, and I hopped off. Taking off my helmet, I hand it to him. “Thanks for the ride. Do you want a coffee?” I offer, breaking the awkward silence.

“Wow, not even a week, and you’re trying to win best employee by bringing customers?” He teases, trying to ease the tension. And it works.

“What can I say? I get competitive” I say, chuckling. Walking away in Starbucks. As soon as I push the door open, I see all my co workers wiggling their eyes at me. I roll my eyes at their childish acts and disappear into the changing room.

Trying not to take long and leave Sterling alone with those dangerous people out there.

But when I appear from the kitchen, I see everyone laughing and talking with him, and surprisingly he’s just as comfortable as them.

“So, what’d I miss?” I say, tying the knot of my apron behind my back, without looking, but I’m fumbling, I release a frustrated sigh and leave it open.

“Nothing, I was just filling them in about you” he smirks, then batting his lashes innocently at me. I narrow my eyes at him in return.

“I can’t believe you kicked a ball on his perfect face?!” Megan said dramatically. Beside her, David tried not to look jealous when she said ‘perfect face’.

“Well he deserved it” I said, smiling.

“Yeah I was being a jerk back then” he admitted.

“It was hate at first sight” I tease, and he laughs.

“It was very nice meeting you, Sterling.

I’ll try my best not to get on Florence’s bad side” she smirks at me, and I pout.

“So you’re the boyfriend?” Carter seethes, looking up at sterling because Carter was two feet shorter than Sterling.

“And you must be the guy my girlfriend threw in the trash” sterling smirks while the rest of us chuckles, Carter splutters in shock. He must’ve thought I didn’t tell him about the incident. Well, I did. And sterling was laughing hysterically that he fell off the couch.

Carter turns back to cleaning tables.

“You can't go without ordering” David says

“I’ll have a caramel mocha” Sterling places his order, handing David his card.

“Coming right up” David rings him up while I make his order.

“Here you go” I hold the cup to him, but instead, he takes it out of my hand and places it on the counter next to me. I look up at him confusedly. In response, he grabs my waist and practically spins me around.

“What are you doing” I look back at him.

Earlier, he must’ve noticed me struggling with the knot because I saw him tying it for me. I smile, looking at the floor.
A bunch of aww’s are heard from behind the counter, we ignore them,
“Thank you” I say once he’s done tying it.

Grabbing his cup from the countertop, I walk him out. He takes the cup from me, kissing my temple, and whispering he’ll text me, he gets on his Harley and drives off. While I’m there standing stunned with a silly smile on my face.

I mean, I know we were dating a long time, and sure, there were sparkles and stuff, but it never made me feel this close towards Sterling. Neither to him because I know he wasn’t a fan of PDA. But seeing all of this made me only think one thing : the kiss changed everything.

Blaine pulls me back to reality as she calls me in “ I know you have a lovely boyfriend, but we have to work to earn girl”

After my shift, I walked out of Starbucks and took the same route home, hoping I would run into the auburn woman, but I had no luck. Instead, when I reached home, the door was ajar. My aunt can't be home, I quietly pushed the door open and entered the house. I looked around the house when I saw no one. I walked straight to my room. It was a mess.

My whole room was turned upside down. I saw a black figure standing near the window around my bed, I couldn’t see who it was as the room was dark.

On hearing my movement, the stranger quickly jumped out of the window. I rushed to the window to see the stranger run away. I locked the window shut and my room too.

Then I rushed to my closet and behind it the hidden room. Thankfully, it was untouched. I breathed a sigh of relief. But this could only mean one thing I have something they don’t and whatever it is, they want it back. But first, I have to find out who is behind all of this.