Chapter 24: Family Tree

I was up most of the night last night staring at the photograph Uncle Ben gave to me. I couldn't figure out how these people so different from each other could be friends, but then again, a friend circle as different from mine should have no say in this matter. 

I thought it would be a good idea to go through that photo first before we get into any of this. To know more about our parents because this is clearly a mess they have created. Olivia still has so many secrets that she is yet to tell all of us. It's not about the secrets anymore, I think it involves a big part of our lives too and without understanding that I really don't think we can win this fight, so I decided together everyone at my house so we could take our time and not miss anything important. My aunt is out on her shift.

I watched some Netflix as I waited for them on my couch. Soon, Kaitlin, Justin and Olivia, and Zander joined me. When I asked Zander about Sterling, he just shrugged. We all watched some shows as we waited for the rest to arrive, Justin and Katylin went to get some snacks from the kitchen.

"So, what's this all about?" Zander asked, a bit distracted from the show

"Oh, nothing. I just thought we should all hang out together. it's been so long since we did that, " I said nonchalantly. 

"I'm ordering pizza," Justin announced. 

After ordering pizza, we all crashed on the couch and watched T.V. the photograph was burning a hole in my pocket, and I was very aware of its presence. I didn't know how to bring it up.

I don't know what I was waiting for, Sterling wasn't gonna show up -

The doorbell snapped me out of my train of thoughts. Everyone cheered, saying pizza was finally here, and they all were starving, I got up to answer the door.

"How much do I-" I stopped when I saw who it was. 

"Oh.... right, right. sorry, I wasn't expecting to see you here, " I say awkwardly, Sterling stares back at me, his eyes avoiding mine. He runs his fingers through his hair, pushing them back. My heart pounded, not because I had feelings for him, I mean of course I did, but because I didn't know how to react, what to say, I was nervous around him rather than excited and the usual lump in my throat started to form which always did when he was around. I hated what this had come to.

"Zander asked me to come here," 

"Yeah, yeah, come on in." I stepped aside so he could come in. 

Just as I was closing the door, the delivery guy came too. 

"I've got pizza," I announced once I was in the room

"Finally," everyone cheered.

After we were about halfway done with the pizza and I had only two slices cause I was so nervous to bring the photograph up, I decided that it was time. 

"Um, hey guys, can we talk ? I really need to ask u guys something." I say slowly 

A bunch of yes and sures were thrown around the room, but everyone was too distracted to take it seriously. i tried again, and when that didn't work, I grabbed the remote and switched the T.V. off. That's when they all started to protest.

"Look, this is important and is the main reason why I called you guys here."

"I thought it was so we could all hang out?" Zander raised his brow

"Yeah, I would want to do that after I see all your faces at school, I would want to go through that again at my home too, I mean, come on," 

"So, the reason why I called you here is because of this photograph." I placed it on the table infant of them, and they all leaned forward to take a look. 

Olivia stood up as soon as she saw it 

"I really have to go, I have to do this thing... with a thing.." 

"Olivia, sit down. I know about your mom, " I say 

Olivia sat down reluctantly. 

"Hey! that's my uncle and aunt, " Zander said, looking at the photograph with fascination. Next to him, Justin and Kaitlin were peeking at the picture in Zander hands while their eyes sparked with familiarity too. 

"That's my dad," Justin pointed at the man in the photograph

"And mine too," Kaitlin said too

Sterling sat quietly, just sting at it, which Zander had placed on the table in front of us. I knew his parents were in that picture, too. He stayed quiet and didn't say a word.

"So, everyone's of our relations are in that photo, which means that our parents or uncles and aunts in some cases were friends too and somewhere along the way that didn't work out." 

"Where did you get this, anyway?" Justin asked

"My uncle gave it to me,"

"These are our parents and all, but who are these two?" He asked, pointing at Vivian and Anthony

"They are my biological parents," I say. Suddenly, the room went silent. The air radiated of solemn and seriousness, and I almost cringed at the attention. I could see the look of sympathy in their eyes. Sterling must've seen it, too. He jumped up from his seat, and half the room's attention was on him now.

"Let's go out, I'm tired of sitting here all day," he said before asking out. Slowly, everyone got up and followed him. I picked up the keys to my motorcycle and headed out, too. Living the picture on the table where it was.