Chapter 28: Files

Last night was great, I had gotten home late not I crashed on the couch because I was too tired to climb up those stairs also I didn't eat to wake my aunt. I was in such a deep slumber that I didn't even hear my aunt leave for her shift. I woke up with a splitting headache those last few drinks were really getting to me now. I open the medical cabinet in my bathroom and took out an Advil from the container before popping one of them in my mouth and drinking water over it. I saved one for later as I got ready to go to the library. I called Sterling and told him to meet me at the address and that I will explain later.

"Did you bring it?" I ask

"Yes, but why do you need it?"

"I know this is what will open that door"

"What door?" he asked confused, I sigh. Just shut up and follow my lead.

I open the shutter of the Library and then enter. Sterling tries his best not to ask questions even when I open the secret passage behind the library shelf. Once I'm infant of the door, Sterling hands me the key and I try to unlock it, it doesn't budge. I try again this time I turn it twice and it opens. Sterling had the from the auction I figured it could be our best shot. Once the door is open, we both enter. The room is empty except a painting in the middl o the room that is on top of a tall wooden block and is protected with glass panels. There is a four combination lock right in between the wooden block.

Suddenly, I know what it is. It's what we've all been looking for. It's the Will, even Sterling knows. Right then Sterling and I get a message when our phones ping. Caleb is asking us to meet them at Caleb's house, everyone is also on their way. We have to look into those files they stole yesterday, we share a glance.

We rush outside, I make sure to lock all the doors even the shutter outside. On the way to Caleb's house I catch up Sterling on whatever that had happened.

Everyone was gathered in the study, they looked up as we entered Olivia and Kaitlin smiled at me suggestively when they noticed who I entered with. Mouthing them a 'later' I walked towards Caleb and Amber.

"I know what the auctioned items are" I say while they all look at me confusedly.

Taking out the picture I show them "Look. The Library was a cafe before, it was where all our parents and Zander's aunt and uncle hung out. And look behind them, at the walls, all those items, those were the part of the cafe. The key Sterling had, opened the door that was locked the room downstairs. My dad converted the cafe into a library after it went out of business, now all we have to figure out is what is the connection" I didn't say anything about finding the location of the Will.

"Anyway, what do we got?" I change the subject before anyone notice the minor detail I left out on purpose.

"We got most of the files that are pointing straight to Vivian in BioPharma and we also have files of Olivia's mother making a confessional video in which she's blowing the lid off on what really happened. Also we have a file where Kaitlin's father is extorting money and there's also an 'incident' involving her mother." Caleb whispered the last part but Kaitlin heard it.

"What? what did you just say?" Kaitlin said shakily.

"Kaitlin nothing is sure for now" Amber said moving towards her.

"No! tell me" she almost shouted.

"here, take a look" Amber opened the file for her.

A video started to play, it was a CCTV footage, I recognised the place, it was outside the library, back the it must've been a bar. A woman and a man was arguing, Kaitlin's dad was drunk as he couldn't maintain his balance when he snapped at the woman, presumably Kaitlin's mom. He suddenly pushed her, and her head hit the pavement moments later blood started bleeding out on the pavement. We all gasped. He didn't notice it at first then he crouched down to see then he started to panic, as he scratched his head frantically and looked around. He then fumbled with his phone and made a call. Amber fast forwards as he waits around for the person he called to come. Finally, the video plays to when Vivian gets out of her car and starts to argue with him then they both lift the body and go around the corner, that's when the video stops.

A sudden disgust and anger rise up to my chest, the fact I am biologically related to her disgusts me. I run from the room, not being able to look anyone in the eye. Others, step forward and console Kaitlin who's sobbing now.

I'm sitting on the stairs when Caleb comes finds me.

"How can someone be so cruel, so psychotic, so inhuman so as to hide the body of their own friend?" He doesn't say anything.

"I mean don't you feel disgusted to be related to such a person? To call them your mother? I know I am"

"Florence, the day she gave you away was the day I realised that she could cross any limits to get what she wants and she has. I stopped believing that she could be a mother to anyone, that day. My dad was the only one I went to when I needed some sort of support, after he lost you he had given up on ... well life. I used to go to his room and just sit and look at him and we'd say a few words on how my day was but he was just too lost to be there for me. I got mad at him for a while that he didn't even look at me, he should at least try to like take care of the child he has but then after a while I understood him. She kept him on a leash, she wouldn't let him do anything. And he just couldn't, he didn't have that option. To fight back or live like he wanted to." he said, staring into space.

"No, you're wrong everyone has options, they just chose to see it or don't" I snapped him back to reality and walk back to the study, leaving him alone.