Chapter 12: Stalker

I'm sitting in my living room with my aunt watching some horror movie ... well, trying to.

But I'm too distracted to concentrate what's going on. After what happened on my way home. Actually, who happened on my way home. I can't get it out of my mind. I don't know what to do.

My aunt jumps beside me, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Why are you watching ginger it if you're scared?" I sigh out

"Every nurse in my department has seen it. Besides it's a horror movie you're supposed to get scared of." She deadpanns.

After the movie ends, my aunt is already asleep. I slowly get up ,cover her with a blanket and turn the lights off, and walk upstairs to my room. I slide into my covers, hoping sleep would come to me and not the other way around.

It's late at night when I hear my door open. I was half asleep, and now I pretend to sleep. I open my eyes slightly to see who it is. The black figure walks to my bed and removes my covers. I'm about to get up and bash their head with my bedside lamp.

Just then, the moonlight shines across their face. It's my aunt.

"Hi" she whispers.

Scooting over for her "scared?" I say

"Just a bit" she slid under the covers with me, and I'm suddenly hit with drowsiness. It seems I needed her more tonight than she needed me.

I wake up quietly the next morning because my aunt is sleeping. I sneak out of my room and get ready for school. I use her shower because I don't wanna disturb her. Soon, I head for school.

I'm walking down the hall with Katylin and Jesse. We stop by our lockers before we go to our English class.

"psst" Jesse whispered to me in the middle of the class.

I turn to look at him questionably.

"Why didn't you come online yesterday?" he asks

"Huh?" I whisper

"we were supposed to study together on video chat, remember ?" Katylin jumps in.

"Yeah, sorry, I forgot." I mumble.

"Florence!" Katylin says a little too loud for the class to hear.

"Any problems, Ms. Cooper?" the teacher asks Katylin

"No ma'am" she mumbles in embarrassment before turning to me

"I asked you if you were okay? You keep spacing out.

"what? Yea. I'm fine" I wave it off.

We walk out of the class once the bell rings. Keeping our stuff in the locker, we stand in the lunch line. Jesse and Katylin are infeint of me talking about some guy who beat up someone in the gym. I'm still stuck on what I should do.

Suddenly, an arm snakes around my waist and pulls me to their chest.

"I don't appreciate you calling Lily and telling her something I didn't do" Sterling Ling whispers.

"well, I don't appreciate you for teasing me about not sudying" I say, smiling.

"thanks to you, I have to make it up to her and do whatever she says for a week. You're coming with me." Sterling said.

"no, I'm not" I shake my head

"Yes, you are. You got me in this mess you're gonna get me through it" he says.

"fine" I roll my eyes.

After school I'm heading to my bike when Sterling pulls me out of my train of thoughts

"What do you think you're doing?"

"um, wearing my helmet? Safety reasons?" I look at him humorously.

"no, I meant, where are you going? You have to come with me. You agreed to go with me where Lily asks me to take her ?" he reminds me.

"oh, that's starting today?" I ask.

I lock my bike and jump on Sterling's ride.

"Lilly!" Sterling calls out to his sister, who runs to him as soon as she sees him.

We are picking her from school and then taking her to some sort of play date.  

"Catherine!" her eyes light up as soon  as she sees me too. She can't spell my name very well, so she sticks with Catherine.

"I want you to meet my friend" she pulls the little kid beside her by his hand and drags him to us. He's staring at the ground the whole time. Cute.

I glance at Sterling to see him frowning. I nudge him. He snaps out from his trance.

"This is Tyler. He's my friend. Tyler, this is my brother and his girlfriend" she says.
"Hello" Tyler mumbles, stealing glances at both of us.
I smile at their adorable actions.
"So, Tyler. How much did you score in today's test?" Sterling suddenly booms besides me.
I grab his arm and pull him back before crouching down to the level of the kids.
"so, who's up for some ice cream ?"

I sit with Lily and Tyler while Sterling orders our ice cream while glaring at Tyler the whole time. Our eyes meet, and I give him a look. He turns around getting my message, but I could hear him grumble all the way over here.
Ignoring him, I turn to Tyler
"So Tyler, what do you wanna do today ?" I ask, but he stays quiet, staring at Lilly the whole time.
Lilly pulls at my sweater, and I turn to look at her. "we wanna go to the kidsplay" she says.
"Alright, finish your ice cream. And then we'll go" I say as Sterling brings our ice creams and hands them to us.

We sit on the bench while they play. Sterling's eyes are glued to him, and his back turns to me he concentrates on his every move.
Rolling my eyes, I smack his head. "what are you doing, weirdo?" I ask him.
"I know Tyler is up to something. He's evil. I know it.
I look at Tyler, who slides down the castle and stands at the bottom of the slide, waiting for Lilly to slide down. After she does, he helps her climb it back before he climbs up, too.
"Yeah, I see it now. So evil that he's helping her so she won't fall" I roll my eyes.
"Why did you even agree to this if you knew this would happen?" I ask.

"that's the thing. I didn't know" he defends himself.
"what did you think was gonna happen in a play date? "
"Firstly, I thought Lilly would bring a girlfriend. Secondly, I thought based on that they'd play with toys. Thirdly, I didn't think they'd understand the concept of a date." He exasperated.
"What? Even if it was a girl, what makes you think Lilly won't like her they way you may think she likes Tyler? Then why does it matter when they play here or with toys. It's Lilly's wish you can't control her, and I don't think you want to either. And I think you're the one who doesn't  understand the concept of a play date. It's where kids play together when their moms are busy or when they hang out after school. Like we do. This is kids' way to hang out. It's not a date. " I explain.
"oh, I get it. I still don't like that guy though" he fixates.
I sigh out in defeat. My phone pings, and I take it out and see the message. It's Guy.

His message might as well give me an embolism. I try to shut the information out, but Sterling notices something's up. Luckily, the Lilly and Tyler were tiered too, so we took  Tyler home, and Sterling dropped me off too.
I just hope I know what to do the next time I see him.