Chapter 30: Anthony

After Mr. Hartwell kicked us out, we have had no progress with getting him to talk really Justin is trying really hard I appreciate him for that but I'm thinking I have to take the lead on this. But since our schools reopened and I am still lacking there so instead of focusing on the actions of my psychotic and greedy mother I'd rather try to go to college. 

I have a test today which I've been studying for the past two days and I am confident that I can turn around my bad streak with this.

The whole time during the test I try my best not to think about anything even closely related to Vivian and ignore the looks i've been getting from the from my teacher a look that says 'if you can't do this might as well give up now' well i'm going to prove her wrong.

"How was it?" Kaitlin was waiting for me outside my class. 

"I think it went well" I admit. Kaitlin and Olivia helped me study for the test. We walk to our lockers together while she texts Olivia how I did.

Once school is over I go straight home, I quit my part time job at Starbucks because my aunt agreed that my schoolwork was getting affected, but she doesn't know that that isn't what caused it. 

Once I reach home I see a figure standing on my doorstep.

"excuse me?" I call out.

The figure turns around, it is my dad. Anthony. He smiles weekly.

"Is there a reason why you're here?" I don't mean it to come out so rudely but after seeing him at that party, so done with life. I was disappointed and then angry at him.

"Um, I just wanted to tell you something" surprised at my tone.

I continue to stare at him blankly. He carefully looks for any sort of reaction from me when  he finds none he sighs and starts.

"So, you must remember how Luke died last year well you must've had your doubts and I'm here to tell you the truth. Vivian was behind it again, I watched her threaten him to stay quiet about everything and one day they had this huge blowout that really messed Vivian up the next thing I know Luke was dead. Now I don't have any concrete proof of anything but I did find about four syringes in the trash and then I got it checked it was morphine. We both know Luke took Morphine as his medication they just overdosed him with it." I knew most of what he said already. I even know where the evidence might be which is exactly why I need his help.

"I need your help with something" 

We stare at the front door for ten minutes after ringing the bell thrice We are just getting to leave when the door opens.

"I apologise for the wait, the maid is out on a holiday-" Mr. Hartwell stops when his eyes lands on me. 

Narrowing his eyes he says "What are you doing here, I told you before I want nothing to do with you." 

"You're right maybe not with me but won't you greet your friend here" I smile cheeky, knowing that I have caught his attention when his eyes sparkle with recognition as he faces Anthony who smiles weakly.

"Anthony! how long has it been?" he shakes Anthony's hand firmly.

We all are seated in the dining room, Mr. Hartwell is looking at the photograph I gave him.

"You remember when we took this photo?" Anthony says.

Mr. Hartwell smiles and nods then he looks up at me. 

"How did you get your hands on this?"

"My Uncle gave it to me. Look, I understand if you don't trust me but i know that you have enough leverage to bring down Vivian" I say it straight to him.

"And why is that you think that?" he raises his brow and locks his fingers.

"Because you are the mayor and you of all people know that you have to protect yourself against Vivian." I state simply. A smile lingers on his face for a while.

"You know how to connect dots I give you that but I don't think its worth my time and effort to give anything to you"

"I don't want it, I just want to to turn her over to the authorities"

He chuckle "If you think that's a good idea knowing Vivian then I'm afraid this conversation was a waste of my time."

"There's got to be some way" Anthony jumps in.

"Your friend Zander, his uncle gave all his findings on Vivian to me a week before their plane crashed maybe there's a way to use that" He thinks out loud.

"I'll see what I can do" he says, before we head out.

I drive Anthony back to his place.

"Look, I know that I am not a good father, Vivian controlled me and I was the fool to trust her, but when I saw her dump you in that Foster home I realised how wrong she was, I tried everything in my power to get you back, you were my dear girl. I'm not making any excuses, I just want you to know that I wasn't always like this. There was a time I would've fought the whole world to get what I want. The day you were taken away from me I had lost everything and had no will to get back up. There isn't a single day since then that I got a good nights sleep and nor did I deserve to. I just am sorry for what I didn't do. I should've tried more harder and for that I'll be sorry for the rest of my life." As he finished, for the first time I took a good look at my father. His face spoke it all, dark circles shadowed his eyes that were numb and distant. His hair disheveled and all over the place, his attire was a mess. But under all that I saw a defeated and ashamed father that has probably lived in guilt all his life. 

"I understand and I lived a very filling life so far, maybe after all this is over we might start over" I gave him an awkward hug before going my way.