Chapter 23: Library

Caleb had left for a meeting. He also didn't want to get Vivian anymore suspicious than she already is. While Uncle Ben and I were meeting Olivia downtown, Olivia wanted to hang out, so I just called her there. 

I haven't been there once. Luke left me this library. After his death, I haven't once come to see afraid how real Luke's death would be to me as I had been living in denial. I'm fine now, a lot has happened since then, I still miss my parents from time to time but that's normal. 

I get out of the cab and spot Olivia right next to the library cafe looking through her phone, she looks up at the sound of me shutting the door of the cab and she pockets her phone and walks towards me. 

"So, wassup?" 

"Nothing much, except I saw my mother today,"

"What?"

"Later, right now, I have to get this painting in hiding,"

I open the shutter lock and push the shutter over my head. The sign is very old, I don't even think this was ever open for business. Olivia helps me with the painting while Uncle Ben trails behind. Switching on the lights, I look around for the first time. The shelves stacked with books surround the place, it is a bit congested, the three of us squeeze in the small place. 

"Why is it so congested here?"

"Maybe these shelves push back?" Olivia suggested

I press my back against one of the shelves and the slide back slowly, my eyes wide at that realisation. 

"That's a bit better," I say after we make some space. 

Uncle Ben is in some deep thought, Olivia and I look around, the shelves are stacked with almost every literature book out there, my mother usually loved reading about history and literature, I guess my dad must've kept it all here after she died. Moments after Uncle Ben spoke up

"What did you say your father's name was?"

"Luke. Luke Woods."

"Ah, Luke." he said, his eyes sparkling with familiarity

"What? did you know him?"

"Yes, Luke was Antony's best friend. Your biological dad's best friend at some time. He was a bright kid, kind-hearted. There's a good chance you might find more to this short library. He absolutely loved mysteries. I have a photograph of him ...well all of their gang." He takes out a black and white photograph. 

There were 11 people smiling at the camera, sitting in a cozy coffee place. i spotted my foster parents immediately they were right next to my biological ones, Luke had an arm around Anthony, I also recognised a women sitting between the couch arm and Vivian, she was related to Olivia I think, cause I saw her in a photograph which was in Olivia's diary that I found in her college dorm on the bed. I turn my head the slightest just enough to see if Olivia sees her too, and she does, of course. She was staring right at her. There was also Katylin's father, whom we sent to jail. The others I didn't recognise. But if all three of our parents are there, maybe the rest of our friends have some connections in here too?

"Uncle Ben? Can I keep this ?" 

"Yes, sure," 

"Now let's find more about this library," I say, looking around the shelves as I pocket the photograph in my back pocket.

Half an hour later, Olivia is slumped against one of the shelves on the floor, and Uncle Ben is sitting on a chair beside her. while I'm scanning throng the shelves, my fingers running through the books on the shelves lightly as I walk around the library.

"You know maybe there's nothing here," Olivia sighs

"No, that can't be." Uncle Ben shakes his head

"How do you know that for sure?" Olivia says, exasperated 

"Because that's who he was!" Uncle Ben is starting to lose his cool

"Oh yeah? The"n why don you find this secret lair you insist so much exist?" her eyes narrowed 

"And what are you doing? just sitting there?" 

"Yes, because I know there's no lair here, and I'm not wasting time nor my energy on you made up nonsense." she throws her hand in the air.

They started arguing loudly, giving me a splitting headache. I couldn't take it anymore, so I snapped.

"What does that -" 

The palm of my hand slams on the flat wooden end of the shelves that was attached to the wall behind. There's a pregnant silence, as they both jump at the loud noise and quiet down. I sigh, rubbing the bridge of my nose. As I turn around and remove my hand, a voice speaks up.

"Analysing"

Our eyes shoot up in realisation, Olivia and Uncle Ben stand up quickly, walking towards me, and I spin around. The wooden surface now shows a graphical blue projection, on the top it says analysis pending and below it is where my hand was then finally at the bottom is a rectangular bar which seems to be like downloading. 

"Analysis completed," a female robotic voice says, followed by three clicks of locks opening, and the shelf that was attached to the wall detaches, leaving a small opening. 

The three of us exchanged glances.

"See, I told you there's more to this small library!" Uncle Ben exclaimed while Olivia just rolled her eyes and scoffed.

There was no light, so I turned on the flash on my phone, and I slipped inside, ignoring them

"Hey, wait up!" I heard Olivia in a distance

The lights come on right as we enter. I take a few minutes to take it all in. There's a convertible car in the middle of the room, right next to it is a motor cycle and a lot of equipment around the room. Then there's a door at the back. i go and check what that is, but it's locked. There should be a key somewhere. Olivia and Uncle Ben are looking around the place. I put the painting against the wall. We explore around for a bit before we lock up and head home. We find a lot of things, fighting equipments, some gadgets and a basement which is right under where the car was standing there we find more equipments, some documents, photographs and my first bicycle too and so much stuff of my dad there. But we still couldn't find the key to that door.