Things Fall Apart - Part 2

Ben's POV - 

I woke up, my back aching from falling off the zip line. I looked around worryingly. "Where's Yasmina?" I thought. I saw Kenji up a tree and Brooklynn walking from behind a bush. Darius and Sammy were sitting on the ground, groaning. I stood up, searching for a sign of her. I heard a moan from behind me. 

Yasmina! My heart started thudding loudly. I had this strange feeling I wanted to hug her tight. To never let her go.

"No, no, stop!" I thought. "I'm just happy she's okay. Besides, how can I protect her? I'm just a nerdy kid." 

Suddenly, a loud roar interrupted my thoughts. "Where the heck is that thing?" Kenji whispered as he climbed down from the tree he fell on.

"It's coming!" I whimpered. "Shh! It could be anywhere!" Yasmina shushed me while she was helping Darius up. I had this odd feeling. 

Like I was jealous of Darius.

I mentally kicked myself.

I was interrupted again, by Darius.

"Where's - no, no! My necklace, I left it in my bunk!" The roar came again, this time louder. I hid behind Yasmina. "We have to run. Now!" Sammy shouted, and we all ran in the opposite direction back to camp. 

I'm great at indoor activities, drawing, colouring... that sort of thing.

One of the things I am not good at is running. I panted behind the others shoving behind leaves, wind in my face, puddles splashing as we ran. 

The others slowed down, and I caught up with them. We were at camp! The broken ripped-down camp. "Dave, Roxie, the other workers. They must've all gotten away." Sammy said, trying to bring hope. I walked to the upturned van and saw a human body squashed by it. 

I gasped. "Not all of them." I backed away from it, falling in immense horror. I heard Yasmina's voice. "Hello, hello! Can anybody?-" Ugh!" She found a walkie-talkie and tried to contact someone. "We're on our own."

For a while, no one spoke. Unexpectedly, Brooklynn burst out angrily shouting, "Give me my phone!" to Sammy. "I don't care about you sneaking into Dr Wu's lab, I don't care about whatever you did with the skin samples you took from the sinoceratops-

"-"What?"

-"What skin samples?"

 "I don't even care that you stole it now. All I want to do is call for help, where is it!" Brooklynn cried. Sammy started stuttering and then shouted, "I don't know what your talkin' about! Skin samples, sneaking into labs? You made up some crazy thing in your own dang head!" Yasmina started shouting at Brooklynn. I guess they all forgot there was a big, savage dinosaur out there!

"Would you guys please keep it down?! There's a big-" I started but Kenji interrupted me. "A big, scary dinosaur? Of course, there's a big, scary dinosaur! There's always a big scary dinosaur!" 

I have had enough of Kenji's bullying.

"And your always a big-mouthed jerk!" I yelled at him.

We got into a fight.

Finally, I screamed, "NO ONE IS GETTING OUT OF HERE!" "We just saw people get eaten. We're alone, we're defenceless. We're dead." 

Yasmina's Pov -

"We're alone, we're defenceless. We're dead." Ben shouted, sat down then curled up in a ball. I looked away. I couldn't bear the look on his face.

Darius' voice filled our ears, "We're not giving up!"

"I get it, it's scary. This wasn't how it was supposed to be. Things aren't always gonna go your way." I turned around and started to listen to him.

"Life is messy, and sometimes... things fall apart.

But, that's okay because when that happens, we pick up the pieces and keep going. And we never give up."

"What are we supposed to do?" I asked. "Get South to the park, get help. And the only way we'll make it is if we do it together. We're a team, or we're nothing at all." We all smiled at Darius' encouraging words, but Ben had to spoil it all.

"Or you know, we don't go back into the jungle."

Kenji, who was still annoyed with Ben, shoved him and said, "You can wait for the negligent babysitters, but I'm with Darius. "Wait, really?" Darius asked.

Kenji smiled, "Dude, there's no way I survived a dinosaur attack- argh!..." Suddenly, a huge piece of the camp fell, almost crushing Kenji and Darius. 

"... just to be taken out by cheap camp debris, Kenji ain't goin' out like that!" Kenji put an arm around Darius' shoulder, "The rest of you coming or what?" 

"I'm in," stated Brooklynn. I put an arm around Sammy. "We're in too." 

We all followed Kenji and Darius, on our way. To get help, to get home, to our destiny. 

Hi guys, personally, I think this chapter is rubbish. But anyway, thanks for reading. Have a great rest of your day.