5

"You should not antagonize Dumbledore like that. He is dangerous." Tom glanced towards him as they walked towards the Great Hall. The old wizards had moved before them already, given that Draco had tugged on his sleeve to hold him back slightly so that they could talk a bit more in something resembling what privacy would be in Hogwarts. Tom looked at the mysterious Malfoy with a curious look. The concern...was new. From what he could recall Abraxas cared little for his well being, yet it would seem that this Malfoy boy did. Perhaps outcast purebloods had some merit.

"Is that so?" Draco rolled his eyes.

"I know you are aware of that. Reckless, is what that is. Antagonizing Dumbledore will do nothing for you and will only give him further ammunition, which as you are well aware of if your words in the Headmaster's office are any indication." Draco shrugged his shoulders, but kept a close eye on him. "You would do well to be at least a little more cautious." Tom stared at this boy, who was pretty much giving him subtle commands. Not so far from Abraxas, as it would seem. He thought to himself.

"I am more than capable of handling things myself, when it comes to Dumbledore, though I thank you for your...underlying concern." Draco grit his teeth, grabbing the Prefects wrist and forcing him to a stop. Tom stared at him, his gaze calm and unbothered, but partially curious. "What is this?" He asked, his voice light but deadly. Draco hesitantly pulled his hand back, but his eyes did not waver, steady as they were.

"Dumbledore is just about as dangerous, if not more than Grindelwald." He said gently. "You act rashly from anger and dislike, I understand, I do not particularly like him either, but it is dangerous to show that dislike so obviously." Draco paused, swallowing nervously. "You are safe, to some extent, given your house and your history, but do not think that it will not come back at you later. Dumbledore is...widely regarded, and has the ability to manipulate those he wishes with ease."

"You are concerned, not just for me, but for what he could do to gain more power by using me?" Tom questioned, tilting his head curiously. He wanted to laugh at the ridiculousness of such a thing. "And just what would Dumbledore gain by using me?" Draco swallowed, nervously glancing away now.

"What can anyone use by using others? You dislike him, hate him, probably have since you laid eyes on him, but there is a reason Dumbledore plays at being on the 'right' side, do you understand?" He asked. Tom just blinked, staring at him again. Draco groaned, gritting his teeth, closing his eyes, trying to regain himself. He was being far too emotional, his father would have punished him for this sort of crazed outburst. He did not even know why he was working so tirelessly to talk to this person. He just...well he supposed that the Prefect had grown on him, just a little bit. It was still somewhat unnerving, nonetheless. "You see through him. There are not many who do, from what I know Slytherin house tends to be able to do such a thing with ease, why do you think he is so wary of us?" Draco questioned. "You may do as you wish, I just want you to be careful."

"Why?" Tom questioned, demanding an answer from the strange boy. "What use is it to you if I am safe?" Draco stiffened at the interrogative tone of voice. Finger flinching towards his soul mark once again. He straightened them out. There is no way that this boy is my soulmate, no matter what. He seems too...sane, at the least. Draco sighed to himself. Yet, is it just a coincidence? This feeling of comfort towards him despite the fact that I am in the middle of a transition? The calming effect, the feeling of my soulmark anytime he is near. It doesn't burn or ache as much as usual, when I am around him...

"It is nothing," He said, trying to keep himself from giving too much away. "I am just looking out for the Prefect of Slytherin, is all."

"You know something," Tom said, cutting through his vague wording. Draco shook his head.

"This is not the place for conversations such as this. If you wish to learn more, I suppose, in return for your aid in my transition, I can give you what I do know, although I fear it is not as much as I would wish." Tom gave a small huff, a smile curling on his lips, but it did not reach his eyes.

"Fair trade, young Master." Tom said simply. Draco gave a slight bow of his head. How did he go from this person to...to the one I know? Draco thought. He may not be kind, I know there are always underlying reasons for what he has done so far. He probably already presumes something about my soulmate mark, and is curious and wants to ascertain the answer for certain. Furthermore it would be a shame to Slytherin credit to not play nice when you do not know someone who has the potential to be dangerous or powerful. His offer to help me with Headmaster Dippet merely is because it works in his favor, and it is his interference with Dumbledore handling my school supplies merely because he dislikes Dumbledore. I am not stupid enough to think that he is doing it for me, but...At the same time...I need him, for now.

It was the unfortunate reality. In the end, transitions were awful, particularly the kin that Draco hailed from. It was also quite dangerous at the best of times. Not to mention, perhaps he was being a little bit selfish. He did not want Dumbledore to get to The Dark Lord this time. He may have been a little bit late, but it was not necessarily too late, at the least. He was curious as to this version of his soulmate. I have to be careful with my curiosity, though. I cannot allow it to consume me. This version is more dangerous than my own. I will need to be cautious.

"Also," Draco began, forcing Tom to glance back at him from where he had been moving to follow Dumbledore and Dippet. "I know you only intervened because you dislike Dumbledore, but...thank you nonetheless." Tom hummed moving forwards once more, grabbing his chin and tilting it up to face him directly.

"You are a very interesting Slytherin, young Malfoy." Tom said simply, releasing him and grabbing his shoulder to steer him forwards. "Let us get you sorted into my house so we can have an interesting evening, shall we?" He gave a small laugh and Draco felt his body relax.