13.

I made a detour to my Chambers because my clothes oozed aged wine, eventhough I drank all through the night to dawn, I was still not drunk. The wine had not given me the wonderful buzz it gave others, it only dampened my emotions more. My soul was latching onto the pain.
I changed out of my wine soaked clothes into fresher ones with Ophelia's help
"Remember Tarak, the dragon people are never to be trusted" Ophelia said as she picked up the comb with shaky hands, I took the comb softly from her hands "Thank you Ophelia." She gave me an uneasy smile "I'll prepare everything for your departure." I nodded and gave her a smile.
Ophelia was the closest thing I had to a mother growing up, for some odd reason she had chosen to serve me all her life, I hadn't a reason why she chose to be by my side.
"Tarak, my friend" I clutched my head, I had been ignoring Anahita's voice in my head, I wanted nothing to do with her again after many years of seeking freedom for her, many years of kindness and friendship were down the drain.
I shook my head to disperse my thought when I got a whiff of a scent that infuriated my every being Margeaux the prophetess.
"Let me in Tarak" I took in a breathe praying for the patience to deal with this woman
"Someone told me you wanted to see me " her signature smug smile was plastered on her face. My face was stone cold and my aura icy. "Calm down, beautiful men like you should smile often" she poked my face before waltzing into my Chambers and placing her behind on my bed.
I bit my lip, closed the door behind me "Get up margeaux." She stood up immediately, no matter how wild she was, she could never defy me for her Soul was tied to mine, my heart beating is the only reason she's still alive and well.
"I didn't mean to be rude, I simply missed you so much my friend, I had tried for more than a decade to speak to you but you have refused me each time." Her eyes were cast down as she spoke
"Why would I willingly invite a bearer of bad news to my abode" I taunted while putting my jacket
She squinted her eyes "my visions are accurate, i am a gift from the gods "
"You mean a bad omen, I mean you spread death and destruction wherever you go, can't you see happy visions why do you always see betrayals and death." I bit my lips to prevent a laugh when I saw how red her face was
"TARAK" she gritted out, matching her energy, "MARGEAUX" I taunted
We stared at each other before a wide grin graced both our lips
"I am glad, you came Margeaux and not your mother"
"I know if my mother had set foot in the castle, her death was imminent." Truth was I had a score to settle with her mother.
"I need to to help kievs mate Eulalia with her gifts."
"You know the ancient oracles speak of kiev's ....." I shushed her "I would rather not to, it is futile to know your future and find ways to perfect it"
She sighed and said "very well, I wish a fruitful journey Tarak, the fattest of the spoils I shall hunt for you will be your reward of you come out of this war unscathed."
"I will hold you to your promise Margeaux"  the sun was now shining bright, First light.  Margeaux came closer to me
"Even though I know what would happen, be safe" she said and closed the distance between us and tangled her lips with mine. One might think I was being unfaithful to Zalika but this was how Margeaux expressed her concern and said goodbye. I had  tried for  years to make her stop but I realised it was a waste to put up a fight with her.
"Goodbye my friend" she pecked me once again before leaving.

"Tarak please" I clutched my head, shaking it to rid of Anahita's voice, the more she persisted the more I became livid, I walked to the forest clearing, where the men who decides to accompany me layed. I saw Axel, Kiev and zeres, Darius was leaning on a tree trunk looking af the orange sky while Venus spoke to him.  The sound branches crunching under my boots alerted them of my presence
"Your majesty" they bowed and I walked straight to to Darius, it felt nice having a person i could trust by my side, my brothers and all the the warriors here knew who's sides the were on but Darius was one person who his allegiance never wavered when it came to me. "Thank goodness you are here, I've already imagined ripping the heads off ten wolves here."
I chuckled softly " keep your anger at bay Darius." I hugged him and he laughed,
"Are you sure, it is wise to leave the elders incharge" I couldn't leave Axel nor Kiev, the gods knew a rebellion would start if either of them sat on the throne temporarily.
"Technically Ophelia is in charge" Ophelia was the oldest wolf alive, she was older than the elders combined therefore they all feared her
"Ahh, well done " I turned to the Axel who stood behind me "Brother, I would like to ask for forgiveness for mine and Kiev's behaviour." I simply nodded letting him hug me, I knew well that Axel would choose Kiev over me anyday but it never stopped me from loving them. Someone caught my eyes "what is Hala doing here "I turned to Axel "I thought it best to fight fire with fire" I looked at her once again she was seated with gamma Imani while she bit out of an apple, I closed my eyes ignoring the feeling the longing that came with even a glimpse of Hala. I brushed my mane with my hands back, when I opened my eyes they were pitch black
"SHIFT" I commanded, the men shed their clothes, letting their inner beast out. I saw Hala climb on Imani red like wolf , I looked at the varying colours of their furs, before I let my inner Alpha out.

My paw struck another puddle, my once white fur had become drenched with rain and mud, the Manor of the dragon people was situated in the Eastern part of the realm, a dangerous city where only the dragons could dwell, the Eastern part was know for its danger like weather, the rain felt like swords piercing my fur, the water was bitter to drink, the sum felt like molten lava, only the dragon people had adapted to the arduous nature that is the east.
The loud clap of thunder and lightning gave an ominous look to the dragon Manor we were now looking upon, we trotted softly, with our big wolf head turning around trying to sight any danger, all our senses were alert. We marched side by side into the court room still at high alert.

I shifted to my human skin when I saw the head of the dragon people Stryder waiting with his people, a court servant Brought Me a cloak, for it would be indecent to talk to someone who is like a king to these people nude,
"Stryder"
"Alpha Tarak " I shook his bone like hands which were calloused and scaly
"What a lovely visit"
"I wish not to delay this visit Stryder but it is a matter of urgency."
"It must be a matter of importance, that it brings the great Alpha out hid castle." I gave a small smile "surely, what ever this matter is, it can wait till tomorrow, your men are weary and hungry from your travels. i have prepared a feast in your honor Alpha."
I nodded,  all I wanted to do was eat and sleep, my problems could wait another day
"Very well Stryder" he clapped his hands and the court servants rushed in bringing in cloaks for my naked men
"They will show you and your men to the Chambers, and after that they'll show you to the dinning Areas"
I shook his hands once more before following the maids who led us to the Chambers
I layed on the king sized bed enjoying the softness on my back, when the door opened , without opening my eyes i knew by his scent that it was Darius
"You seem perfectly at ease Tarak"
"And you do not Darius, tell me what worries you so"
"Do you trust Stryder"
"Not even in the slightest Darius but the old man has no evil intentions towards us, it is his cacus we need to watch out for."
"I've always trusted your judgement." We stayed in silence looking at the bleak night sky
"Your mate seems close with Azim"
"I know" I hated it but it was for the best
"Stop punishing yourself Tarak" he said and I gave a broken smile "if I don't who will"
Our heads both snapped to the door when we heard a sharp knock
"Your majesty, the feast is served." I waved the servant away and turned to Darius
"Shall we go dine with our enemies."
"After you Alpha"

Dinner was more tensioned than ever, it seemed everyone was tiptoeing around each other, i looked and judged the people who Stryder took as close ones, they were snide and cunning from what I had seen. One woman particularly caught my interest,  she was fair, her skin was as milky as the moon, the wine had added a faint blush to her milk like skin, the candle light illuminated the paleness of her grey  eyes and her hair in firey red curls, she was beautiful in her black and silver embroidered gown, she peeked at me under her curly lashes ever so often, I had caught her staring at me quite a number of times during this meal
"I see , my daughter Gardenia has caught his majesty's eyes " my eyes snapped to Stryder then back to Gardenia who's face had become pink, i held in a chortle not to make her more embarrassed
"She is quite beautiful" I said absentmindedly while drinking from my chalice, I saw Gardenia bring her palms to her cheek, while a strawberry was in the grasp of her plump lips
"My daughter has already taken a liking to you" I looked at Gardenia who's eyes darted around, looking for someone to save her
"Change the topic now Darius "
He nodded before engaging in a conversation with Stryder, I looked around and saw Gardenia shrink under Hala's hard stare
"It was a lovely meal, thank you Stryder" I turned to Gardenia "May I speak to you outside for a moment." At first she seemed startled but followed me outside ignoring the eyes trailling us
"I apologise for my father's behaviour."
"He simply spoke his mind." She held the curtains "he is not wrong, I have always seen you as a man."
I walked closer to her "You desire me Gardenia" I saw her bite her lips and nodded "you shouldn't not desire fire Gardenia, someone as delicate as you would get consumed" she was silent for a few seconds "I do not mind being burned" i could easily toy with her but I had so many women around me who I had yet to make happy
"I already belong to someone Gardenia and I am in love with her" I didn't know if I was talking about Hala or Zalika
"You seem unsure your majesty but nevertheless I shall leave you I am glad I was able to confess to you." I smiled at her "who ever finds you Gardenia is lucky." She laughed softly
"Whom ever who give your heart to Is the lucky one" she smiled and kissed my cheek before leaving. I took In a breath of the cool night air before speaking "You can come out of hiding now Hala."

An
Please check out my book Teardrops it's a gothic romance, a love affair between the servant and the king