~ Part 16 ~ | I'm Here (Literally and Metaphorically)

~*~*~*~

** Would You Be So Kind (Dodie) **

~*~*~*~

"Oh, would you be so kind
As to fall in love with me?
You see, I'm trying
I know you know that I like you
But that's not enough
So if you will
Please fall in love
I think it's only fair
There's gotta be some butterflies somewhere (wanna share?)
'Cause I like you but that's not enough
So if you will
Please fall in love with me"

~ Dodie

****

This chapter is dedicated to @nanT-ana5
for the votes! It is much appreciated!

(comment or PM if you'd like a shoutout!)

*****

Zane never believed himself to be a master of communication. In truth, Zane never thought of himself as a master of anything. There was always room for improvement in his eyes. No matter what Zane's view on people's completion of skills was he was not anywhere close to being good at talking.

There were some moments when Zane knew exactly what to say. Sometimes he just felt emotion and he was able to project his feelings into words quite fluently. Other days, conversations were stilted, he missed the little things that were more important than he'd anticipated, and then suddenly he was staring off into space with a mind as blank as a whiteboard.

It was because of Zane's lack of social skills that he was feeling particularly nervous walking up to Nya's room. He was worried about coming off too cold or maybe even too enthusiastic like Cole often said Jay was. He wanted to give Pixal space so she could enjoy her night but at the same time, he didn't want her to think he wasn't interested in talking with her. Zane was usually great at balancing things so this shouldn't be a problem. He followed recipes to the tiniest grain of salt, he balanced out chemical equations without even having to look at the page, he never ran late and his free time was scheduled in the most logical ways he could when he had friends like Jay and Kai. But for some reason verbal cues were a lot harder to do.

The tall boy stopped at their door, cookies still resting perfectly on the plate in his hands, and not a crumb on him. Zane took a deep breath, remembering all the meditative exercises Wu had them do and then he rapped lightly on the door.

"Coming!" Nya's voice called through the door. He could hear giggles from the other side. After a few seconds, the door swung open revealing Nya, decked out in her pyjamas and one of the Korean face masks Zane had found at the corner store stuck onto her skin. Her eyes brightened when she saw him and a huge grin pulled at her cheeks as she took in the delicious food.

"Thank you, Zane!" Nya took the plate and hugged him tightly around the neck. "You didn't have to do this!" Zane shrugged sheepishly. He didn't trust himself to speak.

Thankfully, Nya didn't seem to notice. She simply tugged him into her room where Pixal was perched rather stiffly on a throw cushion with what looked like a teen film playing on the television behind her.

"We're watching Mean Girls," Nya said with a note of pride. Pixal avoided Zane's gaze, turning her head to try and hide the matching face mask she wore from him. "It's pretty good, right Pix?"