Chapter 8

STACY:

"What the hell." I whispered in shock.

"What?" Came Adrian's voice from behind me. When he saw what I was looking at, understanding dawned in his eyes. Good. At least he didn't pretend to not know. "I can explain."

I turned to face him and gave him my complete attention.

"Last week when we bumped into each other-"

I cut him off. "Last week? We never met before last night."

"That's where you are wrong. We met last week on Durston Street. We bumped into each other and you seemed to be in pain. So much pain that you wouldn't even speak. I tried to get you to speak but you didn't. After a while you just snapped out of it and ran away. When you left I found this bag lying on the street."

"So you stole it?"

"No! Of course not. I waited at a cafeteria on Durston for an hour for you to come back for the bag. I went back to Durston Street the following day again in case I would find you searching for it but I didn't see you. I even called up a couple of stores asking for your information but they had strict policies." He made a face at the end of the statement.

What he said rang the truth and I could remember bumping into someone but I couldn't remember seeing him. I remember the pain being excruciatingly painful and it had clouded everything else including my vision I guess. Maybe that's why I couldn't remember him.

"That's why you were staring at me."

"I wanted to make sure you were the same woman. But you didn't seem to remember me at all. Then you told me that you had lost the bag and I knew you were the same person."

"Why didn't you tell me then?"

"I don't know. But I was going to. I swear." His blue eyes showed sincerity and I believed him.

"Why?"

"What why?" He asked.

"Why did you take so much efforts to find me?" That was what I couldn't understand. Why would anyone go such lengths for a complete stranger?

"I-" He paused and continued, "I don't know. The bag seemed too expensive and I knew that it would mean a huge loss so I guess I just tried to help." He looked partially confused when he looked up at me again.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Okay. Thanks for all the help. I'll take this bag now." I picked up the bag from his table and saw that it still was in its pristine condition.

"Do you still not remember me?"

His gaze this time was penetrative. I could feel his eyes taking note of every single movement I made. It made me uncomfortable.

"I remember being on Durston Street and I believe you."

"But you don't remember me."

It wasn't a question but I felt the need to explain.

"I wasn't my best that day. I don't remember anything from that day thanks to the pain." I shook my head.

"Why were you in pain? What was wrong?" He took a step towards me and I took one back.

Oh no! Not these questions. "Nothing. It was nothing."

"It obviously wasn't nothing, Stacy. Something was horribly wrong with you."

"It wasn't anything like that. I need to go now. My mom would be worried."

He gave me a pointed look and I wasn't sure he was going to drop it. "Fine. Don't tell me. "