Chapter 1

STACY:

'Beep! Beep' 'Beep! Beep!'

"Damn it!" I hit the snooze button for the tenth time and tried to go back to sleep.

"Stacy Mathew Brown get up right now!" I heard my mom start to climb up the stairs.

"Argh!" I groaned and pushed myself deeper into the bed. If only I could be invisible.

I heard the door open and my blanket was ripped away from me.

"Mom! Please?" I tried begging but she had a no-nonsense look on her face. "Okay. Okay. I am up." When she still didn't budge I got up grudgingly and went inside the bathroom.

"Don't you dare sleep in there." I heard my mom's threat as she stepped out of my room and continued downstairs.

I walked over to the washbasin and looked back in horror at the image in the mirror. I looked frightful- what with the bed hair and the bags under my eye. My hair could never sit right.

I washed my face, showered and brushed my hair to make it look presentable. I glanced at the clock as I stepped out of my room. 8 O'clock. "Not bad" I muttered to myself and started down the stairs and towards the kitchen. Mom was already sitting at the dining table, reading the newspaper as I poured myself some orange juice.

I walked to the table to find a plate laid out for me with bacon and eggs. 

"Mom you didn't have to." I knew how much she hated cooking eggs.

"I got over the egg fear. I know now that nothing live is going to jump out but you are starting to scare me Stacy."

I looked at her worried eyes and turned away. I hated emotional talks. They were too hurting and disturbing.

"Why scared mom?" I started eating the bacon and felt a searing pain in my throat as it slid down. I hurriedly gulped down the orange juice to make it better. My mom watched me with a confused expression and I said, "I have a sore throat."

I looked away immediately, not wanting to look at her questioning eyes.

"Okay." She drawled and sighed when she realised that I wasn't going to say anything. "Anyways, as I was saying. I am getting worried about you Stacy. You don't eat much and you definitely don't sleep much. Why do you have to stay out till so late in the night? Can't you at least try to get rid of your party habits?"

'Party habits' I  almost scoffed when I heard the words. If only you knew mother! But I just shook my head trying to act as nonchalant as possible.

"Before your father died... you were different, happy and carefree.. and now after you got this job you just changed. Is there something bothering you?" Her eyebrows were scrunched up in confusion.

Oh God no! I can't have a confrontation early in the morning.

"Look mom. I am an adult, going to be 20 even. I am not doing anything wrong. I just hang out a bit with my friends but I never let it get overboard. Do I?" I looked at her expectantly and she shook her head in agreement. "Then what's the problem? It's not like I am throwing away my life and doing drugs or anything. I don't even come home drunk." I stopped because I was just about to say "I don't even party" but that would just raise a lot of questions I couldn't answer.

"You're right. I should let you be." She looked down at her knotted hands. Why?

"Mom. You know I don't mean it like that. I am just trying to tell you that I am alright and that I am a grown woman now." And then added. "At least after I have woken up."