Chapter 11

STACY:

"Where are we going?" I asked after we had been on the road for more than ten minutes. I had thought this would be like any other date and we would go to the movies or get some dinner or maybe both but here we were heading to a completely different part of the city.

"We are nearly there."

"Where's there?"

"You'll see. Just wait for a couple more minutes." Adrian smiled at me through the rear-view mirror and I couldn't help but smile back.

"Okay. We're here."

He stopped the bike in front of an old but nice looking cafe near to the run down part of the city. I got off the bike and handed him the helmet as I took in it's outer appearance. It didn't look like much but it had a warm and cozy feel to it, like home.

As we entered inside I could see that I was right. It was a home, to the many people who came here. There were all kinds of people here. From the rich to the poor, from old to the youngsters, everybody. I immediately had a liking to the place. Even the staff looked extremely sweet and genuine.

We sat in a booth next to the window and just as I settled in my seat I saw Adrian looking at me weirdly. 

"What?" I asked getting uncomfortable under his gaze.

"Nothing." He shook his head and then scratched his neck uncomfortably.

"What is it, Adrian?"

"Umm. Actually I didn't think much before bringing you here and I don't know how you feel about this place." He said without looking me in the eye and I had to laugh at that.

"Are you insane? I love this place! It's beautiful."

"Really?" This time he looked me in the eye and I could see that my opinion did matter a lot.

"Yes. Really." I smiled and he visibly relaxed in front of me.

"Well, look who is here!" An old African-American lady with a shaved head, of about sixty came into our booth with the menus. She was beautiful and there was a glow in her face that added to her beauty. She had nothing but warmth in her eyes and they were currently directed at Adrian. 

"Hey, Beth." He got up to greet her with a hug.

"And who is this?" She turned towards me and I felt inclined to get up. "Oh no! You don't have to get up, honey."

"This is Stacy, Beth." Adrian introduced us. "Stacy, this is Beth, the prettiest friend of mine." He winked at Beth.

"You always have been a smooth talker. Do not fall for his words, Stacy dear." She said while trying to not smile at the compliment. "Come here and give me a hug." She hugged me tightly and she smelt of all things nice and safe, of home. 

"Now you two sit down and look at the menus while I go around the other tables."

"You work too hard, Beth." Adrian genuinely looked worried for her and she shrugged it off by a soft pat on his shoulder.

"There's work to be done and I like to do it when it's for family. I'll get going before people start searching for me." Chuckling to herself she walked out of our booth and I caught Adrian smiling at me.

"What now?" I had to smile back.

"Nothing."

"You always say nothing when there's something." 

"Beth seems to like you."

"What's there not to like?" I pretended to be cheeky and ended up sporting a grin exactly similar to the one he was sporting.