Prologue

For countless centuries the Hyrulean kingdom had shared a meaningful friendship with those of the deep blue sea.

The dwellers of the ocean were known as the zoras. Fish-like people who came in all different colors, were covered in scales and swam around with their beautiful tails.

Legends said that they lived in an underwater kingdom, ruled over by a long lineage of kind and fair kings, along with a few queens.

For years, the humans and the zoras had lived in nothing but peace and tranquility.

That was, until one day, when the much adored zora princess was found dead on the sandy Hyrulean shores.

And as fate would have it, the weapon strewn carelessly beside her bore the emblem of the opposite nation.

The zora king of the time was nothing short of outraged. Countless negotiations tried to be made but there was no use. Ties were severed from then onward.

The damage was virtually irreparable, the two groups were kept as far away from each other as possible, and skirmishes broke out every now and then, ranging from mere scratches to serious injury.

Throughout the years the tensions only continued to grow until you could slice through it with a sword.

It is now the present day.

With the death of the faithful king Roham, came the ascension of his daughter Zelda to the throne. Yet, she refused to accept a queenly title for reasons unbeknownst to her people.

Secretly, the young princess was in constant anguish. Not only had her father's death taken a toll on her, the weight of the responsibilities she now possessed did as well.

Now, she became responsible with stopping a possible war, and things didn't look good.

The number of conflicts and attacks between both hylians and zoras were increasing in number very rapidly.

As a matter of fact, she was right in the middle of hearing about one.

Zelda sat on her throne, one hand resting on her lap and the other clutching to the armrest. Standing in front of her was a hylian fisherman, illustrating in excruciating detail how he and his fellows had nearly been drowned.

He waved an arm in the air to show how a zora leaped out of the water.

"And then that vicious thing took its giant spear, thrust it through the side of our boat, and then the next thing we know, the floor underneath us begins to submerge. We're ankle deep in water in a matter of seconds!" The fisherman explained with great frustration in his voice.

"I'm telling you, your highness, they're evil. Something must be done about them!"

Link, Zelda's royal guard slowly switched his gaze from the man to the princess and watched as she closed her eyes and breathed out a long sigh.

"Sir, your voice has been heard. I shall take into consideration what you have said," she answered, maintaining her royal professionalism.

The fisherman nodded his head, giving her a ceremonious bow.

"Thank you, princess, I hope you're true to your word," he replied, turning to be escorted by the guards on his way out.

The moment the doors shut behind them, Zelda buried her face in her hands, catching the attention of her knight.

He knew very well the mental toll coming into power had taken on her. Stoically, he stepped forward, something he knew he wasn't really supposed to do, but he figured it'd be courteous to check on her.

"Majesty?" He began, after clearing his throat.

Zelda quickly sat right back up in her usual posture, folding her hands neatly together. A light pink rushed to both her cheeks.

"Yes, Link?" She asked, seemingly quite surprised the knight had decided to speak.

He'd never been much of a talker.

He cleared his throat again. The princess had spoken with him various times, but this time he took on a far more casual tone.

"I think you ought to take a break..." he began, feeling his heart begin to slightly quicken its pace.

The princess's eyebrows rose, and she let out a somewhat awkward chuckle.

"Whatever makes you say that?" She asked, nervously adjusting her sitting position.

Link was hesitant for a moment, but he eventually put together what he wanted to say.

"Oh, not much, I just uh...figured that these recent zora attacks and conflicts have been somewhat stressful," he told her.

Something inside Zelda's heart felt warm. Never before had her knight ever confronted her about something so...personal.

It was awfully kind of him.

"You...really think so?" She asked him, her cheeks becoming pinker. "Well, I suppose I have been rather time-constrained."

Link nodded his head.

"I've found that playing my ocarina always helps lift the burdens off my shoulders," he mumbled, more so to himself. But as fate would have it, the princess caught this.

"You play?" She mused, a warm smile spreading across her face.

Link was properly embarrassed now, but there was not really much he could do besides answer.

"Oh- I uh...do...a little," he chuckled awkwardly, scratching the back of his head, while Zelda flashed him a look of amusement.

"If it isn't too much to ask..., could you play something for me then?" She inquired, making Link clammily swallow.

"I-I mean if you want me too, then by all means, I'd be honored," he managed to reply.

Taking in a deep breath, he gently reached into his satchel and pulled out his beautiful blue ocarina. He circled around until he was standing in front of her throne and began playing one of the most beautiful melodies she'd ever heard.

His precision and the way he played every note perfectly told the princess that he clearly practiced often.

And he had indeed been right, the music definitely soothed her soul, and for a moment, she forgot about the impending doom that could be in store for her kingdom so help if the zora decided to attack.