Up On The Crow's Nest

Zelda could feel her heart drop as she plunged down the side of the ship. She tried to savor the sweet feeling of wind against her skin, for it would be her very last.

Finally, after an agonizingly long fall, she hit the water with a loud splash, sending a spray of seawater high into the air.

The pirates, who watched from the railing, began their joyous cheers and celebration. At long last, they'd disposed of the wretched princess of Hyrule.

"Sooga! Go fetch the ale barrels from the cellar. Now that the kingdom's unguarded, we'll be having the thieving session of our lives tomorrow!" Kogha shouted, being met with excited replies from his crew.

Sooga, doing as instructed, rushed off to go grab the drinks.

Meanwhile, underwater, Zelda slowly felt herself sinking below the surface. She'd accepted her fate, as watery and as terrifying as it was.

Now, she carefully waited for the air in her lungs to slowly run out, trying to focus on the somewhat calming rocking of the ocean instead.

That's when she felt a tight, somewhat piercing grip on her shoulders, and a force that pulled her upwards.

Pretty soon, she was back out of the water, feeling the breeze on her now soaked skin and clothes once again.

"Don't make a sound, I'll fly us up to the mast for now," her rescuer told her.

Zelda was beyond confused, but decided it'd be best to comply anyways.

Looking off to her left, she could see their shadows on the side of the yiga's ship, framed by the light of the setting sun.

The person carrying her in its talons was a rito, who was doing an expert job of using the ship's massive, white sails to conceal them.

It wasn't long before they reached the crow's nest at the very top of the mast where her rescuer gently set her down.

Zelda tried her hardest not to cringe at the fact she was standing in a damp, dripping dress.

"Sorry," he apologized, "I know my talons are probably sharp, but it was virtually the only option."

The princess felt the unknown person grab hold of the restraint secured around her wrists.

Using something sharp, he carefully sliced through the rope until finally, it fell away.

With her newly freed hands, Zelda wiped the stray water from her eyes and face.

Seconds later, once her vision cleared, she immediately recognized the navy-feathered rito.

"Hold on, you're the fisherman Princess Mipha was staying with!" Zelda exclaimed, immediately putting a hand over her mouth after realizing how loud she was being.

Hearing the zora princess's name made Revali shift feet in a flustered manner.

"Y-Yes, that's me. I came here because I knew she came to this ship, little did I know I was just in time to stop your execution," he explained.

Zelda sighed, gathering her long, blonde hair into her hands and twisting the water out of it.

"I am in your debt, thank you," she replied. "Mipha was actually the one that found me locked up in my cell."

"Really? Where is she now; is she here?" Revali asked, subtle worry lining his words.

The princess shook her head, letting her wet hair fall onto her shoulders.

"No, but as a matter of fact, she's under the sea, back at Zora's Domain. She seeks to recruit her father, the king, and her people."

Revali's eyes widened, and he looked over the edge of the crow's nest at the waves.

"You think they'd really agree to help attack the yiga? I mean granted, we threw them that celebration, but this is potential war we're talking about," he wondered aloud.

The princess couldn't help but look away, her expression growing somewhat sorrowful.

"It's a... long story...you'll hear it eventually, but trust me, I have faith in her," she answered.

All Revali could do was worriedly nod his head.

To think he'd found Mipha helpless on the beach when in reality, she had to be one of the most courageous people he'd ever met.

One thing was for sure, after all this was over, he'd never judge a book by its cover ever again.

The sound of music beginning to play directed his and Zelda's attention onto the pirates below them.

The pair leaned over the railing of the crow's nest to see that the yiga were now jovially dancing around, as if celebrating anything other than a murder.

Sooga was seated on a stool in the corner, bowing away on a comically small fiddle, and some other pirates had grabbed their own instruments.

The rest of them jumped and danced about on the deck. Even Kogha joined in, twirling about with his mug of ale in hand.

A merry sea shanty began.

"Hey ho, the vermin is gone, so now we're a plunderin' and singin' this song."

"Under the sea, unable to breathe, this is the song of pirates and thieves!"

"Goodness," Zelda murmured. "To think I'm this despised."

Revali shook his head and sighed. "Disliked by petty criminals sure, but they are all barely men."

The princess chuckled weakly. For whatever reason, she was now feeling slightly dizzy.

"You don't get seasick, do you, Revali?" She wondered aloud, holding onto the railing a little tighter.

The rito shook his head again. "Well, in my many years of sailing I've gotten used to the constant bobbing up and down. Don't tell me you have to vomit right now," he replied, turning to her.

Zelda laughed softly again, "Well- perhaps not now but is it just me or is the boat rocking a little more than before?"

Revali opened his beak to respond but that's when he noticed it. Zelda was right; the ship had begun swaying back and forth.

He looked up into the sky.

"There seem to be some clouds gathering. My guess is it's a storm, but..." his sentence trailed off when he saw a tiny blue head that poked out of the water before diving back under.

"Wait a moment," the rito said, pointing a wing at the sea. "Did you see that?"

Zelda, whose face was somewhat pale now, raised a blonde eyebrow. "See what?" She asked.

The rito gestured again, and sure enough, another tiny little head popped out from the waves before diving back under. It was a bright red one this time, so Zelda easily caught sight of it.

The princess released a tiny gasp.

"Wait a moment...did...did Mipha actually do it?