Welcome Dearie!

Riddled with anxiety, my hand shook as I reached for the doorbell to the house I'd be residing for the next school year. I was terrified enough as it is, but at least I wasn't.. home.

Home... I shuddered at the thought. A chill going down my spine. Surely Anubis House couldn't be anywhere near as awful.

With that in mind, I press my finger to the bell, listening as it chimed, waiting patiently for someone to answer the door.

My wait wasn't long, and the door swung open.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding when met with a warm and welcoming smile. I missed seeing those... It was so genuine, and the woman's eyes sparkled with kind.

"Hello dearie! May I help you?" Asked the woman who's name I've yet to learn. I blinked, trying to get the rest of my body to move again. My movements being stiff yet clumsy as I fuddled for my papers, handing them over to her.

"Shy one, aren't you?" She said with the smallest of laughs, her smile never leaving her face as she looked down at my papers, reading them over. I was taken aback by the lack of judgment, the tone of her words having no ill intent or snark.

She looks up, still with a smile which only seemed to brighten as she handing me back my transfer forms along with the rest of my school papers. "Oh Victoria dear, so lovely to meet you! Come, come!" She says brightly, ushering me inside after grabbing one of the handles of my luggages.

I follow her inside, once grabbing the handle of my second suitcase, closing the door behind me. "The rest of the house are already at school, so you'll meet them later this evening." She tells me as we enter the foyer.

At least that gives me some time to settle in, without prying eyes.

"My name is Trudy Rehmann," she says as she stops, turning to face me, resting my suitcase at the foot of the stairs. "I'm your house-mother."

I do my best to smile at her softly, which she returns, but it doesn't reach her eyes this time, and I notice what I believe to be concern surfacing before a look of understanding and empathy washes in, and she gently holds me by my shoulders. "It's the nerves, isn't it?" She asks before a look of encouragement dawns on her features, "Don't you worry dear, we don't bite. Well.. maybe Victor." She says with a snicker, making a joke about a man I don't know, but who I assume is relevant. "He stepped out for a moment, he'll be back shortly."

I only press my lips together as both fear and guilt was over me, turning my head to the pocket of my jacket. She was being so kind and thoughtful of my feelings, but she didn't know the half of it. My hands fumble for my envelope as I feel her stare at me with curious eyes.

I lower my head, staring at the tiled floor after taking a step back, not meeting her gaze as she takes the envelope from my shaking hand, tearing it open.

I find my shoes suddenly fascinating as I hear the sounds of papers shuffling and then being unfolded in order to be read.

I didn't know what to expect, but being pulled into a hug wasn't it. My eyes widened like saucers, I hadn't been prepared, so I had initially flinched at the contacted. However my body forcibly relaxed under the familiar, and very much missed feeling of a parental figure's care, feeling no sense of danger or discomfort. My hands wrapping around the woman to reciprocate the embrace as she rubbed comforting circles on my back, my head resting on her shoulder as she told me that everything was going to be ok.

After being like that for a moment, she pulls away from me, patting my cheek softly. "Now then, how do you prefer to communicate?"

My heart hurt at how accepting she was; but then again, I've only ever had luck with mother figures.