House of Dares p4/House of Lies p1

"See the bunch of keys on the desk next to Victor?" Alfie asks Nina as we (Alfie, Nina, Patricia, Jerome and I) stood at the top of the stairs, staring that Victor through his office windows.

I was merely here to spectate. As soon as things fly south, I will not hesitate to throw Patricia under the bus. Even if that means sacrificing Alfie and Jerome too.

"Yeah?" Nina says quietly, trying to not draw suspicion.

"Those are the master keys." Alfie continues to narrate. "He carries them with him everywhere he goes. So you'll never get them." He says, causing Nina to frown.

"But there is a key box on the wall just beside him." Patricia says, her back turned to Victor and his office. Nudging her head in the direction of where the key box is.

Nina looks at me for clarification and I begrudgingly nod my head. I didn't like that she was willingly putting herself through this, and entertaining Patricia with this behavior.

"He keeps a spare set of every single key in there." Jerome whispers, however when he looked back, he sucked in a breath as he had made eye contact with Victor. Crap.

"What are you lot looking at?" Victor asks as he steps out of his office, and I pretend to be scanning the schedule of who's on chore duty. "Hmm??"

"Sir, we were just-"

"Admiring your coat." Nina cut Jerome off with a smile. "Is it vintage?" Really Nina... that's the lie you're going with?

"Yes, just as I thought." Alfie spoke up to where he was on the floor, stirring Victor's attention off of Nina. "This floor— It could- it could use a polish." He says with a strained smile.

"Hmmm." Victor hums, smiling with this glint in his eyes. After glancing at each of us. I did my best to remain indifferent, but even Jerome quirked a nervous grin. "Yes. In that case, please feel free to polish it, Alfie."

Alfie's eyes widen as Victor leaned forward, grabbing him by the arm, trying to deny the 'request.' "No Er-"

"Come with me." Our housekeeper spoke, dragging Alfie down the stairs.

"I didn't mean- I don't even know where the-" Alfie says in his poor attempts to getting out of the unnecessary housework he put on himself.

Once Victor and Alfie were no longer in sight, Nina sprinted into the office like her life depended on it. And if Victor caught her- it might as well.

Patricia's jaw dropped and her eyes filled with disbelief and irritation as she was actually going through with it.

Anxiety bubbles within me with each passing second that she isn't out of the office. I jump and flinch, my heart pounding as a hand was placed on me. I look up and calm down as I realize it was just Jerome. He sent me a small smile, and from my shoulder his hand moved to my waist as he pulled me in. I was thankful for the fact that he was trying to calm my nerves, but glare up at him regardless with a semi annoyed look on my face, leaning into him. After all, he's part of the reason this is even happening.

~~~

"Amber, I realise you're incredibly busy, but we're both on chores. Not just me." Mara says as she scrubbed away at the dishes in the sink.

"I hate chores." Amber whines after she pulls her earbuds out of her ears, hearing Mara call her name through the music she was listening to. "The washing up makes my fingertips go all wrinkly." Amber cringes, getting up from the couch.

"I know~" Mara drags out. "If only there were some sort of glove. Made of rubber? That could protect your hands from water?" Mara says sarcastically as Amber walks over, holding out the pink pair of gloves.

Amber's eyes dart to her wrist as she went for the pair and the blonde sees nothing but red. "Where did you get that?" She asks calmly, but her tone was demanding.

Seeing the look on her roommates face, Mara's widen ever so slightly with worry. "Why?" She was scared to even ask.

"Because my boyfriend gave me the exact same one, that's why!" Amber shouts, infuriated, storming out of the kitchen. Mara's mouth gapping, eyes going wide with worry as she leaves.

By doing so, she rammed right into Alfie, who dropped all the cleaning supplies in the processed. "Owww!!! Alfie!" Amber cried out before growling. "You're such a pain!"

~~~

I flinch at the sound of things clattering over the floor, followed by Amber's screaming. This means Alfie and Victor are in the hallway before the foyer. Meaning they're getting close.

Nina, hurry up!! I mentally plead, hoping for the best and for nothing to go wrong.

Nina runs out of the room, smiling as she had the key in hand, but then let out an airy groan of defeat and annoyance, realizing she forgot to put the master set of keys back onto his desk. I press my lips together and hide my face in Jerome's chest as I heard Victor coming up the stairs, followed by Alfie.

I hear Nina groan followed by a bang. I look up at Jerome to see a tense look on his face, him almost unnoticeably mouthing 'shit!' as Victor reached the top of the stairs.

He held onto me for support; mine or his, I don't know, as the aura radiating off of Victor was intense. He's pissed. That much I could tell.

I narrow my eyes at Patricia who seemed overly joyed by this turn of events. Smirking victoriously as Nina was probably going to get into massive trouble for this..

"Nina Martin, what are you doing?" I turn to see her sitting on the floor with his Raven in hand. "This had better be good." Oh she's fucked. You don't mess with his stuffed bird. "What were you doing in here?" He says, continuing to demand answers, taking Corbierre from her.

"Um- Um, I was getting a closer look at Corbiere." She stammered before coming up with her next lie. "I'm sort of an amateur... taxidermist."

"Get out!" Victor barks, Nina running out of the office, and I hold back from wincing at the noise. "And don't let me catch you in my office ever again."

I free myself from Jerome's arms as Victor slams his door shut, smiling that she didn't even get a slap on the wrist for her intrusion or accidental assault on Corbierre. (Which in itself is a bloody miracle if you ask me)

With her back turned towards Victor, making sure he couldn't see a thing, Nina pulls out the spare key to the attic, grinning proudly.

For whatever the reason, I find myself wrapping my arms around her. This took her by surprise. "Oh! We're doing hugs now?" She asks with a laugh, and I pull back enough to smile at her. I was about to pull away though, in case this has had made her uncomfortable, but she proceeds to reciprocate the hug. I guess this was me both being relieved that she had gotten away with this nonsense, and also congratulating her on her nearly flawless theft.

"Lucky." Alfie says with a smile as Nina and I mostly part from each other, both of us standing side by side with one arm behind the others back.

Jerome nods in agreement, also impressed with how she got away with everything. "Very lucky."

"Well, we'll see how lucky she is tomorrow night." Patricia says with crossed arms, not thrilled over Nina's success. "When she goes up into that attic."

Her eyes travel over towards me, and I just step closer to Nina, grinning at Patricia as I gave the American a side hug. The goth's eyes narrow and she walks off. I stick my tongue out in her direction once her back is turned.