House of Attitude p2

That night, I went to bed early. As much as I love Patricia, she's been on Nina's case since before we even met the girl. And I just didn't want to hear it anymore for the evening.

I didn't know how to talk to her, and given the look on her face, she had also burst into tears. I didn't know how to comfort her. So I was just going to give her her space.

Her first night was what I more-so imagined mine to be like. What is it with us newbies bursting into tears the first night we arrive?

The next morning- (Nina being Ms lucky, showing up on a Friday, now met with the weekend) I spent the first couple hours with Mick. Amber watching us shoot some hoops and exercising. I left the couple alone after that, going to take a shower before finishing up the rest of my homework.

I didn't get to do it alone though, Alfie and Jerome dragging me down to their room, and the three of us working on our assignments together. Jerome and I doing most of the work, and comparing answers, while we aided Alfie with his. (Mostly me helping him, cuz I don't think Jerome would have done it for free)

And it wasn't that I was avoiding Patricia, but I didn't want to hear more of her conspiracies. And she was doing everything to stay away from Nina outside of when she was in the mood for interrogations. Which might have been the best thing; for both/all parties. Nina avoids getting shouted at or accused, Trixie doesn't start up being in a fit of rage, and I and the rest of the house don't have to hear more bickering between my roommates, saving us all the headache.

I was heading back up to my room, nearly bumping into Nina who had just finished in the bathroom. She looked at me with her lips pursed together, and I stepped back, allowing her to enter the room first.

I place my bag on the floor, and sit at my mirror, undoing my hair from the braids I had put them in, while in the shower, now that they've dried.

"So.. getting the silent treatment from you too, huh?" I pause and turn around to look at her. To see if she was joking. But she looked both awkward and hurt, sitting on her bed with a book in her hand.

Did nobody tell her?

I think back to the rest of yesterday. I was more of a listener in our conversations, and then retired early. And then this morning I didn't have my laptop on me, nor really needed it. She hasn't seen me properly interact with anyone.

I shook my head, holding up a finger, telling her to wait. I look around patting myself down for a pen and paper, after noticing I hadn't left my clipboard nearby. Rolling my eyes at myself, I dive onto my bed, leaning over to grab the laptop I had charging off the floor.

'I'm mute.' I quickly typed.

She scoffed and turned her head away mumbling "Of course you are, very convenient." I flinch at the coldness in her tone, biting down on my lip as I felt my eyes get glassy.

When I haven't said anything else, she looked back at me. Her eyes scanned my face and it didn't take long for her eyes to go wide as realization struck her. "Wait, you're actually... I am so sorry!"

I pulled the computer off the plug, looking away from her. 'Forget about it.'

I grabbed my MP3 player and went back to my mirror, brushing out my hair. Not sparing her a glance as she left the room, continuing to bite down on my lip in frustration.

~~~

"Mara, do you think Mick is over me?" Amber whispers to the female brainiac quietly in the living room while her boyfriend was with the male brainiac, eating in the kitchen.