2. Shock and Delight

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, "shock" and "delight." Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed. Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Miss Daphne Bridgerton. The illustrious debutante was seen dancing not once, but twice with the season's most eligible and most uncatchable rake, the Duke of Hastings.

"So, Daphne may be in love. Does she think it an accomplishment? What exactly has she accomplished, then? She certainly did not build that man or bake him."

"Can you bake love? I mean I could just live with loving the cakes I bake or violin," I shrug and Eloise looks at me for a minute.

"I could deal with just loving books, but he simply showed up. Now he straggles about. He likes her face, probably. Perhaps her hair. Having a nice face and pleasant hair is not an accomplishment."

"Are you jealous?" I ask her.

"Of course not Eleanor, but I am incredibly upset. Do you know what is an accomplishment? Attending university! If I were a man, I could do that, you know. Instead, I shall have to stand by and watch dear Mama appear proud because some man should like to admire my sister's face and hair and fill her up with babies! Oh, Penelope, you're not listening to a word I say," Eloise rants.

She pulls both of us closer, "I know of someone with child."

Both of our eyes widen, "Is it your mama?" I ask. "Or one of your sisters?"

"Is she not advanced in age? I suppose your father should still want a boy," Eloise infers.

"It is not Mama. Or one of my sisters, It is a maid," she explains.

"Which one of your maids is married?" I ask her.

"She is not married," Penelope clarifies.

"How did she become with child if she is not married?" Eloise asks.

"I do not know, but I will find out," she says,

"You must–"

"Otherwise, how can we make sure it never happens to us? We have accomplishments to acquire," Eloise finishes.

We hurried home, both with promises to find answers.

"How does a lady come to be with child?" Eloise runs into the room asking, panicking and heavy breathing from us running home.

"Eloise, what a question!"

"I thought one needed to be married," I told mama.

"What are you talking about?" Daphne asks as she stops playing the pianoforte.

"Apparently, it's not even a requirement," Eloise says.

"Eloise, that is enough," Mama tells her.

I grab her hand and lead us over to the couch where we sit in between Colin and Benedict.

"I take it the two of you know?" She asks them.

"Do not look at me," Benedict commands, turning away from us.

"Have you ever visited a farm, El?" Colin asks, making Benedict reach over both of us and slap him.

"I hope you are not encouraging improper topics of conversation," mama says.

"Not at all, Mother," Benedict smiles at her.

"In fact, we were just heading off to take our sticks out."