7. Harmony

A jilted groom.

A broken-hearted bride-to-be.

A royal wedding in shambles.

Sensational? Quite.

But true? This author may traffic in chatter and speculation, dear reader, but misinformation? Never.

Explanations of why Miss Edwina absconded from the altar may be greater in number than anyone could possibly fathom.

But we must not forget, it was Her Majesty the Queen who placed the young miss on that special stage so that she could make her grand exit.

Allow this author to hope My carriage.

for Her Majesty's sake, as well as both the Sharmas and Bridgertons, that an official explanation emerges swiftly, lest the ton are run away by their tawdry imaginings.

"I did very much enjoy last night," Alex whispered in my ear, making me shiver.

"We really should put a stop to this," I tell him as I turn around. "What if someone finds out?" I ask as I mark my place in my book.

He shrugged, "I'm a prince, you're a Briderton, and we're engaged, it doesn't matter anymore."

I rolled my eyes as Mama asked us where Anthony was, "Where is your brother? He should be here by now."

"Perhaps he is still waiting at the altar for Miss Edwina," Colin suggested.

"There will be no mockery today," Mama told him.

"She mocks me incessantly," Gregory insists, pointing to Hyacinth.

"Are we not overlooking the benefit of this tragedy?" Eloise asked.

"Leftover cake?" Gregory asked.

"Yes," I said. "You are my favorite." I kissed the side of his head.

"You wonder why I mock you?" Hyacinth asked.

"Brother! How good of you to join us," Benedict said as Anthony joined us.

"Have you all eaten?" He asked as he took a piece of bread.

"You will need to break your fast later. For now, it is of the utmost importance that we act swiftly to limit the damaging consequences of the unfortunate events of your–" Mother struggled to find the word.

"Bungled nuptials?" Colin offered, making mother glare at him.

"Is all of this truly happening because a woman merely changed her mind?" Eloise asked. It does seem a little silly. Why can't people keep their opinions to themselves.

"Unfortunately so, Eloise. Yet, I suppose the reason does not signify. We simply must deal with the consequences. Now, I think it a pleasant morning for promenade," mama said, making everyone, including Alex groan. "Together, united, as the most respectable family that we still very much are.

"Respectable?" Anthony questioned. "A respectable family is headed by a gentleman, is it not?"

"Brother– Is there something more we should know? Or, perhaps, more than just I should know?" Benedict asked him.

"Forgive me. If a promenade is what you feel is wise, Mother, then we shall leave within the hour," Anthony said, not answering him.

"I feel like we're being left out of something," I whispered to Alex.

"Definitely."

"I shall be a little late. Shopping. I need a new pair of gloves, so as to look that much more united and respectable," Eloise said. Please, she's going to go and have a visit with Mr. Sharpe.