5. The Duke and I

We all raced home and Daphne immediately ran up to her room to get undressed. "Shouldn't you be heading up with Daphne, Len?" Colin asked. I stared at him and looked back at me. "Are you quite well?"

"I've been awake for over 24 hours, I played almost 6-7 hours worth of ballroom music. I have yet to have a single thing to eat since lunch yesterday, I'm covered in mud, my fingers feel like they're about to fall off, I got a cold last night, my sister came home crying and I still yet to find out why, I had to watch my eldest sister being fondled by her soon-to-be husband, and had to watch her almost get shot, all while yet still in uncomfortable heels and a ballgown, so I'm am doing swimmingly, Colin," I tell him and my other two brothers who were standing right there before turning around and marching up stairs.

I open Eloise and I's door and draw the curtain, "Wake up, Eloise," I smack her with a pillow.

"What? What time is it? What happened to you?" She asked, looking at me covered in mud.

"No matter that now, tell me why you came home crying last night before I have a breakdown," I tell her, undressing myself out of my ball gown.

"Penelope and I had a fight because you were right and it wasn't any maid and so I thought back to what you said and I thought, 'what if it was a widow' so I went over to talk to her about it. She got all mad saying that she needs to be thinking about mature things like marriage and then got mad at me because I'm a pretty Bridgerton and don't have to worry about marriage or being out in society right now," she explained very fast.

"Well, she's under a lot of stress right now, trying to court men and we're not exactly making it easier on her, plus she feels like she has to be mature because her mother is a lunatic. We also have more advantages than her, being in our family, we're fortunate," I explained to Eloise. "She was very rude about it though. I'm sure you'll both apologize and get over it soon."

"Yes, I'm sure you're right," she nods. "Now, tell me what happened with you."

"This might take a while," I sigh.

~

"Well?" I ask her as she sips some tea and I shove down all the food nearby.

"Well, I think you're going to choke if you eat any faster," she says and I glare at her. "I'm flabbergasted. I really can't think of what to say. I'm sorry you had to see that, I'm sorry I wasn't the most interesting part of your night. I mean you performed beautifully for the whole ton and then— that."

"I wish you were the most interesting part of my night," I chuckle.

"Here, you can nap on me whilst I read," she says, opening her arms. I look at her, is she really doing this? "Come on." I smile and lay on her as she starts reading her book.

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted. The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings.

The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials, an event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later.

Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a scandal.

"How does it feel, sister, to be in love?" Hyacinth asked. I never thought about that. I do wonder what it feels like, if I will ever feel it. Oh, and I feel bad for Francesca. She will miss the wedding. I would never want any of my siblings to miss my wedding if I have one.