5. Unthinkable Fate

After the ball Alex's parents had to leave and so did Amara. I still do not have the faintest idea of what's going on with Alara and Calum other than they want another baby. Unfortunately for me, I'm currently in a carriage with Anthony as the Queen has asked to see the both of us.

We're running late of course because this twat does not know how to get anywhere on time. Perhaps he does need Miss Edwina.

We get out of the carriage and he's basically running into the room. I, however just walk like a normal human. We enter the room and see Kat, "Miss Sharma," my brother acknowledges. She stares at him and they both look at each other before he runs into the room with everyone else. I nod to her before going in as well.

In the room was Alex, Edwina, her mother, Lady Danbury, and the Queen.

"Viscount Bridgerton, Miss Bridgerton. We thought perhaps you'd not be joining us," the Queen suggested.

"Your Majesty. Nothing could keep me from my beautiful bride," he told her, kissing Edwina's hand. I sat down in the chair next to Alex. I have no idea why we were asked here.

"Now, tell me of your wedding plan. There is no talk of a special license, I would hope," she laughs, recalling Daphne's wedding.

"Of course not, Your Majesty. I believe a modest family affair would be most fitting. Perhaps back in the country, at Aubrey Hall," Anthony suggested. I know he always wanted to get married there. That's where mama and papa were married. Perhaps it would be in the garden where we hosted the picnic.

"In the country? No, that will not do. You must have it here in town. In fact, I shall host the nuptials myself," she insisted. I looked to Alex.

"What is going on?" I asked him.

"I do not know," he said, looking at the Queen intently before coming to a realization. "Whistledown."

"Whistledown?" I questioned.

"Yes, it makes sense," Alex tried to explain. "What made this season different from all the rest? The one thing since the moment the ladies were announced that everyone waited for?"

"Lady Whistledown's paper," I looked at him with fascination. "But how will this reveal her?"

"I think only the Queen knows that one for now," he said. "I think it might connect to some of the other things that have been happening as well. I think I have a theory on who lady whilstl–"

"And what of the two of you?" Queen Charlotte asked and we looked over at her. "When is your wedding?"

"Uh, we have decided to have it in one of the coming seasons ma'am," I smiled at her kindly.

"Well, then why worry about the engagement in the first place?" She asked.

Alex looked over at me, "There were some suitors getting in the way, I didn't want that to be any trouble later on."

"Staking your claim on what is yours, I like that," she complimented. "Very well, it gives me time to focus on your brother and Miss Edwina."

"Yes, it does," I nodded in agreement.

"I believe that concludes our meeting?" Lady Danbury asked with a laugh.

We all nodded and got up to leave, but the Queen stopped me as the others kept walking.

"You know, I had my diamond for this year picked. I went over the list of ladies time and time again and there was one who always stood out to me, you, Miss Bridgerton. You have potential, don't waste it on marriage just yet. Not when you've just begun to find your voice," she said before letting go of my arm. "Unless you found it long ago and are just now showing it to the world."