7. Oceans Apart

Miss Marina Thompson's recent fall from grace continues to echo through every drawing room in town, days after it was revealed her engagement to Colin Bridgerton was nothing more than a sham.

Mother, Eloise, and I exited our home and waited for the carriage when we saw Lady Featherington and Miss Thompson across the street. I glared at them and Mama ushered us into the carriage to avoid them.

Of course, a lady's disgrace does not merely tarnish her own name.Like the tars of the Thames, it also leaves a horrid smear on anyone nearby.

"Hold still, ma cherie," Madame Delacroix tells my sister as she fidgets.

"This scandal could very well tarnish my debut, Mama. Perhaps we should delay my coming out altogether a few years," Eloise tries to persuade her.

"Hush, child, all will be well. Just keep smiling. Like Eleanor," she said looking at my smile. I'm just laughing at how uncomfortable Eloise is.

"Can a smile be enough to save the Featheringtons? Penelope and her sisters did nothing wrong, but their reputation's destroyed," Eloise complained.

"It really is unfair," I tell mama.

"You should be worrying about your own family's fortunes at present. We are in just as perilous position. Lovely day, is it not, Lady Richmond?" Mama aksed the Lady who was staring at us from the other room.

She gave mama a disgusted look and I met her eye. She gave me a look to, but I kept staring at her, her eyes widened and she looked away as if I burned her. "It's this Whistledown," Eloise muttered.

"I certainly never want to cross the woman. Her word as good as gospel," Madame said.

"Yes. Though, perhaps if she can destroy a reputation she can restore one too," Eloise said, hinting to modiste. I don't think it's her. With all the last minute orders she never has any time, let alone to write a gossip paper.

Madame gasps, "Tres elegante, Miss Bridgerton." I look at my sister and she looks wonderful. "What a debutante you will be!" Mother chuckles happily and Eloise closes her eyes and sighs while we switch spots.

While there is no parasol in the world strong enough to shelter a ruined woman, the fallen Miss Thompson can only hope she shall find a refuge⦠somewhere.

"So where shall we discuss the new evidence of who Whisltedown is?" Alex asked as we led him upstairs.

"In my room," Eloise said.

"Ah, okay," he said and started walking towards me. We stopped in front of Eloise's and stayed there. "What are you doing? That's Daphne's room," he said, turning around when he realized we were not with him.

"It's mine, now," Eloise grinned.

"I see you've both lowered your hems," he said as he sat down on one of the chairs.

"However could you tell?" I asked him with a smirk.

"Well just the fact that Eloise has not stopped tripping and you look about as graceful as Gregory when he first started to learn to walk," he smirked back, making me hit him with a pillow.

"Alright on to Whistledown," Elosie said as she tried to move her skirt.

"I first want to apologize to you and your family for the scandal that has fallen upon you, Miss Thompson was very unforgiving for this," Alex said, sincerely.

"Thank you, Alex, but that is part of the new evidence," Eloise told him. "Someone had to have known and if it's not a maid, then someone close to the family, which is only us so unless it's secretly Eleanor or you, then it has to be someone who could easily figure it out. Someone who was close to the Featheringtons, someone who is a tradesperson."