4. Victory

If the Ancient Greeks were members of the ton, they might have added to their Olympic pentathlon one additional event.

The hosting of a country visit.

This, of course, is the week of Lady Bridgerton's annual Hearts and Flowers Ball, the year's most coveted invitation in the country, and no event better designed to show the might and mettle of its host.

While mama and Daphne were preparing for the ball, I was helping with food. Also trying to get rid of a raging headache from the night before.

I'm still not quite sure what was in that tea. I'm rolling out dough when Alex comes into the kitchen. "We need to talk about our set for tonight."

"Uh, well we should do some kind of lovely slow song for my brother and Miss Edwina. Lord Fife wishes to have a large dance song, Lord Hartely requested something upbeat," I listed off.

"Lord Hartely is going to be here?" He asked, sounding shocked.

"Of course, most of the ton was invited," I laughed, looking over at him with a confused look.

"I just didn't think you would care what he thought after how he acted at the races," Alex smiled tightly.

"He is still a guest and a male. Stuff gets to their heads, he's respectful to my mama and my family, I will be nice nothing more," I tell him. "Now, go prepare the sheet music, get some song requests from the Sharamas and Daphne."

"Yes, ma'am," he nods, walking out of the kitchen.

~

Alex and I played together in the courtyard in front of the house as the guests started to arrive. Daphne and mama greeted them. We were one song from taking a break when we saw Alex's sister and parents. We quickly finished the song and ran over with Alonzo.

"Mama, Papa," Alex grinned. "How is uncle?"

"Not well I'm afraid," he father sighed, "but no matter that now, we are here for some fun, all of us together with the Bridgertons."

"Yes, and it is lovely to see you all again," Amara smiles. "We actually have some news. I'm with child!"

"Congratulations!" Everyone tells her, but it seems that Alara looks on with a little jealousy as her husband walks off to speak with the others, leaving her with their son.

"Come, you haven't met the Sharmas yet," Alonzo tells his older sister, pulling them to follow. Him and Alex go to show his parents and sisters to the newest members of the ton.

I head over to Eloise and Colin. We're talking for a few minutes when we see a beautiful someone heading over in a green dress. "Oh, Pen! Oh, you are finally here," I smile, hugging her.

"With only my own family to speak to, I've begun talking to the trees," Eloise laughs.

"Is she calling me wooden?" Colin asks.

"I don't think so," Pen disagrees.

"I could call him worse," I laughed.

"Is there not another pamphlet on women's rights to read somewhere?" Colin asked the two of us.

"They are both quite done with that," Pen tells him, looking at the both of us. 

"El has brought one with us here to read with Len and the Bonapartes. Prepare yourself for many a quotation, Pen," he tells her.

"The printer's pamphlet? I thought you'd realized he was not connected to Lady Whistledown. Those letter K's have not been smudged for some time now," Pen tells her.