6. Swish

Dearest gentle reader, I must send felicitations to the new Duke and Duchess of Hastings.

Congratulations and stamina as they embark on the most exhilarating time in a young couple's life. I am, of course, talking of the honeymoon. Finally leaving watchful eyes behind.

While this author, along with the rest of the ton, will certainly miss its most-remarked-upon couple back in London, perhaps we might find solace in the promise of the duke and duchess returning to us bearing a surprise.

"Surprise? What does she mean by surprise?" Eloise asked me before giving the paper to Alex and taking out her notebook.

"A baby perhaps," Alex suggested.

"I wonder what Daphne is doing at this very moment," Hyacinth said next to us.

"I am sure she has many new duties to attend to as duchess, things you should be learning for your debut," Mama tells Eloise.

"More like things we shouldn't be learning until after we get married," I whisper to Alex who chuckles.

"Making simpering conversation, pretending not to wince every time a man treads on my toes during a waltz?" Eloise asks and I nod to Alex to go play with Gregory and Hyacinth.

"Eloise!"

"I'm no good at those things. I'll only make a fool of myself," Eloise complains.

"Well perhaps,If you devoted as much time to your deportment lessons as you did to writing in your journal, you might feel rather better. And on that subject, in preparation for your season, it is time we lowered your skirts to wear at home. You as well, Eleanor," she said and I sighed.

"I have no time for a visit to the modiste. I am busy. The queen herself has charged me, Eleanor, and Alex with discovering Whistledown's identity. You would not have me cross Her Majesty, would you?" Eloise asked as someone started clinking a glass.

"May I have everyone's attention?" Colin asked, standing suspiciously close to Miss Marina Thompson. "I would like to make a small but important announcement. I have happy news to impart. I have asked Miss Marina Thompson to be my wife, and she has accepted." My mouth drops as the people around us run to give their congratulations.

"Did you know about this?" Anthony runs up to ask mother.

"People are looking, dear. Congratulate the happy couple," she tells him as Elosie closes my mouth for me. Alex laughs, but I just look at Eloise with the same shocked expression.

~

Eloise, Hyacinth, Gregory and I listen to Anthony and Colin's conversation against the door and I force them back as I hear Colin come out. Anthony follows after him and then sees us. "Were you listening in?"

We all shook our heads and he gave us a look, "We were just curious!" Hyacinth protests.

"We know this is sudden, but did you have to say that? What if he does love her?" I ask him.

"Well, then he needed to do this the appropriate way," Anthony retorts.

"And he did."

"No–"

"He's been courting here since the first ball at Lady Danbury's. He was one of her first callers. He danced with her every night that he could unless she was sick, she was one of the only girls he danced with or looked at for more than two seconds that wasn't Daphne, Mother, Penelope, or me during my performance. Why didn't you just hear him out? Or at least meet Miss Thompson?" I questioned my older brother. He stood there, not being able to speak. He just shook his head and turned away. I turned to my sibling. "I must say, I am getting awfully tired of the men in this house."