8. The Viscount Who Loved Me

"I was thinking Roses and lilacs, I think, this time. Cheerful. Thank you, Mrs. Wilson," Mama tells her Lady's maid.

"Are you sending flowers to the Sharmas again?" Hyacinth asked.

"There's nothing worse than rotting flowers when someone is unwell," mama told her as she came to sit next to Eloise and I as we were reading.

"We're not attending this Featherington Ball, are we?" Benedict asked.

"Oh, I do not know. I suppose it is a good thing we were invited. On my walk this morning I was given the cut directly. Twice. At least Lady Whistledown does not seem to be writing about it," Mama said.

"I would love to go, I should love to see Penleope," I told her. "Even if I have to go alone, seeing as I am not allowed to see my betrothed anymore."

"She does not seem to be writing at all anymore. Is that not right, El, Len?" Colin asked, backhandedly.

"How about I come over there and stick one of her pamphlets up your arse if you like them so much?" I asked him in my kindest voice.

"Eloise, Eleanor, uh, perhaps a stroll with Penelope might help clear your mind," Mama suggested and Eloise scoffed.

"The last thing Penelope needs is to be seen consorting with the likes of us. A political revolt and an unwed mother. The Featheringtons know how bad this is. And you do too. Even if you refuse to admit," Eloise told her, very upset.

"No one informed me that we have lost three staff in the last month. These are precisely the things I must know about," Anthony said, marching into the room.

"Well, if you haven't noticed, none of us quite care at the moment, not even you," I told him bitterly.

"Eleanor! We are not the only ones affected by our ill reputation of late, Anthony."

"Colin. Would you care to inform me about anything?" Anthony asked.

"I do not take note of staff changes," Colin tells him.

"What about our accounts? You do not seem to take note of them either, since I spent the last two days balancing our books, only to discover that you have taken out a rather large sum."

"Excuse me?" I asked Colin.

"Whatever for?" Anthony asked him.

"If you must know, I was exploring an investment with Lord Featherington," Colin explained.

"Ugh, I do not like him," I admitted.

"This is just what makes the difficulties in this household. No one gives any thought as to how it must be managed," Anthony raged, making my eyes roll. Mama could do it, I could do it, Daphne is a duchess, she could.

"He is one and 20, Brother," Benedict countered.

"Is no one allowed to make their own decisions?" Eloise asked.

"You, keep doodling," he told Benedict. "And do not ask me to speak of your activities. I wouldn't know where to begin," he told Eloise. "And Eleanor, your snide remarks would be nothing if I were to continue to question both you and Mr. Bonaparte about your adventures."

"May I be excused?" Eloise asked, standing up.

"I must go too. But do not worry, Brother. I shall send you notice of every step I take today," Colin told him.

"Yes. Doodling awaits," Benedict glared at him.

"I suppose. I do have so much to read," Hyacinth said.

"I have my Latin," Gregory said awkwardly.

"I just extremely dislike you and is he now back to Mr. Bonaparte?" I asked. "If were going back to formalities, you should stick with Prince Alexzander as that is his official title." I marched out of the room with the rest of my siblings and locked myself in my room for the remainder of the day.