Chapter One: Fifteen

Author's Note: Bear in mind, this is the second book in the series. If you're looking for the first, it is called Rise from the Ashes and is currently available on my profile.

(NARRATED BY TRAVIS GUILDER)

Thomas Adaleen sat shivering on the floor of a cave as his three-hundred-year-old superior muttered a chant at his broken staff.

"Not to complain or anything," spoke up the Brotherhood turncoat, "but don't you think you could've picked a better place than a cave in the middle of the Samora Desert, Your Majesty? It's freezing at night."

Alexandrio Lectavus looked away from his work to scowl at him. "You are the descendant of Avion Aridus. Make a fire, you imbecile."

Calvin Azlarus was sitting against a cave wall, reading through the Book of Spells. "Pretty genius idea, right, Tom? That way, I can give my lighting magic a rest. I still need to maintain these wards so people can't find us. Mason and Moreilene have been breathing down our necks for the past couple of months, so if my power falters one bit...." He snapped his fingers. "We're finished."

Summoning a fire, Adaleen sighed, "Couldn't even beat seven children. And now we don't know where the other kings are, let alone their sacred objects."

"Well, it's not our fault," Azlarus argued. "Malidon killed the other Half-Bloods out of pride. They were the only ones who knew."

"Malidon was a fool," Lectavus concurred. "He did not learn from our people's mistakes. His desire to bring glory only to Krenshia nearly ruined our future. But fear not; he only killed three Half-Bloods."

Adaleen and Azlarus perked up a bit.

"Indeed," continued Alexandrio, "one half-blood still remains. He hid in the shadows during Malidon's spree. I have recently made contact with him."

Adaleen bowed his head in shame. "I don't know, your Majesty. I've been having doubts about our whole mission lately."

The king scoffed. "I have given the people of the Empires hope. Yet you, my most trusted servant, doubt my plan to bring everlasting peace to this world?"

"I thought your plan was revenge," Azlarus snorted.

"Nay," said Lectavus, "it is to take what is rightfully ours. There can only be one set of gods to rule the heavens, and one people to rule the world. We must achieve prosperity by wiping out our counterparts for good."

"That's nice," muttered Calvin, still flipping through the book, "but I'm just here to satiate some bloodlust. It's an Azlarus thing."

The King of Krenshia raved on, "Just imagine: once we defeat the Blessed Nations, no other power shall stand a chance against the might of the Empires. It shall be a world ruled solely by the Divine!"

Azlarus laughed, "You want to take over the world? How original!"

Ignoring him, Lectavus continued, "Our people have suffered enough. Those Elementals have already had their fair share of wealth and power, so it is time that we make it ours once more; for we certainly deserve it more than they. We were born to rule, not live as slaves!"

"Spoken like a politician," Azlarus snickered.

"Do you take issue with my motives?" Alexandrio demanded.

Calvin finally put down the book. "What you said is all fine and dandy, but what are we going to do about those kids? In case you haven't noticed, they're a huge thorn in our side."

"Fear not," said Lectavus. "Once we resurrect the other four kings, we shall be unstoppable."

"How can you be so sure?" asked Thomas.