Chapter Two: Memories

(NARRATED BY TRAVIS GUILDER)

We had been driving around for a while, going south when we should've been heading north. It was already midnight, and we were all pretty tired after the dance. Cameron had since dropped off Aurora at her house in a neighborhood nearby, so we should've been headed towards our own "neighborhood" by now.

"You're going the wrong way," I told my brother. "This is Elsbury Street. You're supposed to take Flame Pine Avenue, and then head up 251."

Cameron glanced back at me from the driver's seat. "I am heading up 251. We're just southbound." Right on cue, he turned onto 251.

Levi spoke up from the back row, "We're still going the wrong way."

"No, we're not."

"I hope you realize it's a little cramped back here," said Sarah. "There are only three seats, yet four of us."

"I offered shotgun to anyone after dropping Aurora off," Cameron sneered, "yet none of you listened to me."

I grunted with amusement, "Actually, we were listening. No one wants to sit with you because you scare people away."

"WHAT? I DON'T SCARE—" He cut himself off. "Hmph. Whatever."

"Just get us home, Cammy," Lola yawned. "I'm so exhausted." She rested her head on Levi's shoulder and closed her eyes, pretending to sleep.

Cameron glanced back at Levi for a moment. "By the way, are you two a thing now, or...?"

Levi stiffened in his chair. "I, uh...."

"Yeah, we're dating now," Lola mumbled, her eyelids still shut. "What about you and Aurora?"

After a long pause, my brother responded, "I just hope we can still be friends after tonight, because I never had a lot to begin with."

"How is that possible?" Levi questioned. "There's a big crowd that follows you twenty-four/seven!"

I saw his fists tighten on the steering wheel. "Sometimes, I wish I could just make those people go away. They're all so fake."

An unbearable silence followed after that. Fortunately, my girlfriend was there to break it: "I know where we're headed."

"Do you now?" asked Cameron.

Gradually, a roadblock came into view. There were military trucks and people moving about. I knew them by the sight of their winter uniforms: Brotherhood soldiers. They all had dark-colored dress pants and a buttoned-up trench coat of the same shade, matching the symbolic colors of their respective divisions. In addition, everyone wore the same pair of white gloves.

"Yeah," Sarah muttered as the car came to a halt, "I do."

Turning to the back row, my brother explained, "I got a call from the General. He told us to meet him here, so here we are!"

When a man came up to the driver's seat window, Cameron rolled it down. I knew whom the voice belonged to once I heard it.

"Hey, guys. Long time, no see!" said my dad. "Just park right here and step out of the car, please."

Right after we did just that, an entirely new scene appeared around us. There was little vegetation, other than a few shrubs and cacti scattered here and there. A tall range of mountains was visible in the distance, with some smaller mountains and mesas scattered about. It was a dry sunset, and the temperature lingered between hot and cold. However, it was by no means mild weather. Extremely dry gusts of wind blew violently on occasion, while the setting sun and hot sand kept things just above freezing.