Chapter Four: The Fight

(NARRATED BY SARAH ADALEEN)

I was in my bed attempting to sleep when I heard that infernal knocking sound on my hotel room door. I already knew who it was. "Go away, Travis! It's past midnight and we have to get up early tomorrow!"

"Can I come in?" asked his muffled voice.

"No, I told you to get lost!"

He banged on the door. "Let me in, woman!"

"No way!"

"Please?"

"I don't want to talk to you!"

"Fine, but I'm not going away! So, unless you don't want any sleep..." He banged on the door once more. "Let me in, dang it!"

I made sure he could hear me sighing as I tossed aside the covers and dismounted from the bed. Since I wasn't dressed, I threw on a dark green robe for modesty's sake and fumbled my way through the darkness until I found the light switch. Then, unlatching the lock to my door, I opened it—but only slightly for dramatic effect.

Well, I was reluctant to let him in.

"What do you want?" I snarled.

"Quit putting on a show," he chuckled. "We need to talk this over with at least some level of maturity."

Without a word, I let him through the doorway. He waltzed over to the bed and sat down, gesturing for me to do the same. I, however, remained standing with my arms crossed. I wanted him to know that he was in the wrong.

But he called me out.

"I'm not playing this game with you, Sarah. If you want to stand, that's fine. But either way, we're talking as equals." He stood up.

"What do you want?" I demanded.

Travis, let out a sigh. "You know I don't feel that way about Elli, right? It's not like I've done anything that merits suspicion."

I wasn't expecting it, but the telepathic lie detector went off in my head. I tried to keep my cool, though. "Okay then, prove it to me. How about you relay that conversation you had while I was gone?"

"Sorry, but that's none of your business," he replied stubbornly.

"Are you even listening to yourself right now?"

"Yeah, Sarah. Are you?"

"Tell me what you talked about," I ordered.

"No. I'll let you know when you're calm enough."

Left with no other choice, I probed his mind for answers. I ran into a wall of sorts when I got to the part where Travis asked Elli if she loved him, though. Something was blocking me from getting past that. But I still had enough dirt on Travis to justify my anger.

I stared at him in disgust. "I can't believe it. You actually led her on, didn't you? Even in her vulnerable state—"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Travis put his hands up. "Calm down, Sarah. We'll work this out together, okay? Just tell me your concern."

I put my hands on my hips. "My concern isn't that you still have lingering feelings for her. In my opinion, that's perfectly normal. But you won't admit it."

"Wait, what?"

"You're being dishonest with yourself, as you are with me."

He looked at me as if I was crazy. "Don't be ridiculous, Sarah."

"Do you still have feelings for her or not?" I demanded. I already knew the answer, but Travis had the sick nerve to deny it:

"No, Sarah. I don't."