Chapter Twenty-Five: Contempt

(NARRATED BY CAMERON SETLER)

After several hours of waiting, Esther's eyes fluttered open at around seven in the morning. Sitting up and stretching her arms, she asked me, "Did you sleep well, love?"

"No thank you, Essie. Doves don't belong inside anyway."

Esther stared at me for a long while. "You did not sleep at all, did you?"

I yawned deeply, "Your face is pretty, Essie."

"Do not expect flattery to get you anywhere."

"Well, duh. Flat tires never get people places, you silly, pretty, beautiful girl. Don't you know anything about biology?"

Esther's eyes turned sad. "I apologize. I should not have come here in the first place."

She began to get up from the bed, when I pulled back her down and hugged her tightly.

"Hey! Let go of me!" she giggled. "I have to get ready for the day, and—"

I put a finger on her lips. "Shhhhh... Don't feel sad, Essie. My brain will start working eventually."

She sighed deeply, "I am engaged to a complete moron."

Someone banged on the door.

"Whaddaya want?" I slurred. "I didn't order any pizza!"

"You two need to hurry up!" Lola's voice answered. "Uncle Samson and General Mason are waiting in the lobby!"

"I'm the only one in here, Lola!"

"No, you're not!"

"Yes, I am! And I can prove it!" I looked at Esther. "Go hide inside the closet."

"What? No!"

"How about under the bed?"

"How about no?"

"Cameron, quit torturing the poor girl!" my sister hollered. "We get it: you're noble! Now, hurry up!"

"Dang right!" I shouted. "I'm so noble, I make noble people look... not noble!"

Sighing with annoyance, Lola stomped off.

Once she was gone, Esther and I looked into each other's eyes. Then, kissing me, my meratis requested, "Please let go of me, dear."

"Oh, right. Sorry." I released her from my arms.

"By the way, I apologize for bothering you last night," she said.

"Don't worry about it," I replied. "You'll be bothering me for the rest of my life anyway, won't you?"

Granting a warm smile, Esther slowly rose from the bed. However, when she reached the door, she stopped. "On second thought, should I request that they grant you more time to sleep?"

"I'll be fine," I assured her.

My meratis still looked concerned.

"Go get dressed," I told her. "I'll meet you in the lobby."

She shook her head. "No, Cameron. You lie back down. Get some rest."

"But—"

"Please... do it for me."

With some hesitation, I finally gave in: "All right, honey. You're the smart one."

Esther smiled warmly once more. "I shall return to wake you later. I love you, Cameron."

"I love you, too, Lady Esther."

She giggled, "That nickname is never going away, is it?"

I shook my head.