Chapter 27: Complications

The group was heading to Argus base to get permission to go to Atlas. "So, what can we expect from her Jaune?" Noble Six asked. "You've tried talking to her, right?"

     Jaune nervously rubbed the back of his neck. "She's...she takes her job seriously."

    The younger spartan groaned in irritation. "Dear God, She's one of those."

     "She's one of what?" Ruby asked

     "You'll see soon enough" Chief replied as they approached the gates.

     As the group approached the base, the front gates slammed shut. "Well, guess they don't want guests" Noble Six said as two soldiers began to approach from the other side.

     "Our orders are clear, the Mistral/Atlas border is closed!" One of the soldiers spoke with a loud tone.

     Yang stepped up to snap at them, but Six placed a hand on her shoulder. He took a step to speak to the two soldiers. "I'm currently operating under the directive Winter Contingency. I'm sure you're familiar with the consequences of interfering with spartan deployment."

     The two soldiers looked to each other with puzzled looks, then back to the young spartan. "We will return with our commanding officer!" The two turned around in unison and marched off to do their task.

     Six snickered as he took off his helmet. "Damn idiots."

     "So what's the plan?" Ruby asked

     Her older brother in question looked down to her. "Hopefully if all goes well we all can leave tomorrow, though I doubt that will happen. So, I'll think of something."

     The gates suddenly opened as the two soldiers approached. The first soldier began to speak. "Introducing..."

    "Special operative..." the second one continued.

     "Caroline Cordovin!" The two finished in unison as an older woman about five feet in height approached.

     Caroline was about to stepped toward Maria when Noble Six got in front of her. "A pleasure to meet you ma'am."

     The Atlas military commander looked at him from head to toe, as if sizing him up. "So you're the one who made that fake protocol."

     The young spartan shrugged. "Not really fake, but not a protocol for Atlas military. Anyway, it was about the only thing I could think of to get you down here."

     "And what is so important as to bring me down here?" Cordovin asked

     Onyx motioned to Weiss. "We're escorting Weiss back to Atlas. She was kidnapped but I was able to rescue her. We also have a high value package Ironwood is expecting to be brought to him personally."

     "If it's something the general is expecting I will have to inspect it."

     "With all do respect ma'am, the package is classified even for you. I was given direct orders to hand it to him myself."

     Cordovin thought for a moment. "If miss Schnee has truly come to her senses and wishes to return to her family, then of course the Atlas military will escort her home. As for the package, you may also accompany her. But the kingdom will not be responsible for her friends of...questionable character." Cordovin glanced toward Blake as she finished speaking.

     Weiss stepped in front of Blake. "What's THAT suppo-"

     Six cut the young Schnee off by covering her mouth. "Thank you ma'am, we'll be ready for take off at exactly 1200 hours."

     Ruby glared at Onyx. "What are yo-"

     The spartan had to cover his sisters mouth as well. "In the meantime, I'll have the rest of our party hang back until further notice. If you ever need it, please ask them for assistance. They'll be happy to lend a hand."

     Cordovin spared a smile toward the black armored giant. "It is nice to know someone in your group has some sense. Very well, we will have a manta ready for you two. Do NOT be a second late." With that the gate shut on them and Cordovin left with her soldiers.

     The group turned aroundand beganto talk back to the house. "Great plan, Onyx" Yang snarked. "Didn't we promise to always stick together?"

     "It was all he could do" the Arbiter replied for him. "Even in the Covenant, there were officers much like her. His hands were tied, there was nothing else he could do."

     "Well we HAVE to think of something!" Ruby objected

     Her older brother looked at her. "Alright, what do YOU think we should do?"

     Ruby stopped in her tracks. "I...we could..."

     "Precisely, let's just get back. Weiss and I have to get ready to leave." From that point on the group traveled back to the house in silence. When they got back, Six began to get ready for the flight. The rest of the adults went to take care of other minor business.

     The kids all sat in the living room as they began to talk. "Why the Hell didn't he do anything back there?!" Yang asked "I thought he supposed to be on our side or something!"

     "He probably didn't have a choice" Blake replied. "He was able to at leasr get some sort of agreement with Cordovin."

     "He didn't even try!" Ruby exclaimed. "He could've just ordered her to let us all through!"

     "All she would have done is refuse to let us through again if I tried that." The group looked to see the young spartan descending the stairs. "Believe me, I've dealt with officers with her more times than I'd like to count."

     "So that's it?! You're just going to give up?!"

      The older of the two siblings rolled his eyes. "I gave us another opportunity to get to Atlas. It'll ju-"

     "You just gave her what she wanted!" Ruby yelled. "You haven't done anything to help!"

     Onyx glared at his little sister. "Really now? Should I have allowed Roman to slaughter you all with that paladin he stole? How about the subway train rigged with explosives? There's also the Fall of Beacon, and the fact that I was protecting you all the way here from Vale." Onyx got in Ruby's face as his glare intensified. "I'm not going to bend my knee to a spoiled brat who can't even part with a friend for a few god damn days. Do get your head of the fucking clouds, you're not in some fairy tale where everything goes your way!"

     Ruby began to tear up. "I HATE YOU!!!" She screamed, before rushing out the front door.

     "Ruby!" Onyx called out to her.

     By this time, everyone else had come in to see what all the commotion was about. Jaunes older sister Saphron walked over and put a hand on his shoulder. "Just give her some time to herself. This kind of thing happens between siblings all the time."

     The young spartan crossed his arms. "She's being an immature, spoiled, hypocritical brat. She's going to have to straighten up her act if she wants a chance to succeed as a huntress."

     "Everyone rest up" Chief ordered. "We all have a long day tomorrow." The kids began to turn in for the night as the adults kept preparing for tomorrow.

     After about an hour, Noble Six informed the others that he was going out to seek Ruby. He searched everywhere he could think if his sister going, until his eyes caught the sight of something peeking from around the corner if an alleyway. When he walked over and picked it up, he saw it was none other than Rubys cloak. Now trampled with multiple sets if footprints.

     His grip tightened on the cloak as he began to track the group down. His goal: to save his sister, by any means necessary.