Teach me how to flirt, chapter Twelve.

Chapter twelve:

Ella sat on her bed after Maryanne left her. She stared at the wooden box under her desk contemplating on whether to get it or not. That box held most of her secrets and fragments of the past and she wasn’t that sure that she wanted to get it back out.

“You know that life will never drift us apart because of something like that, right?” Mary cooed softly after their tears dried and smiles replaced them.

Ella remembers looking at her best friend and smiling slightly not really knowing how to tell her that some doubts were inside her growing bit by bit.

Ella shook her head to get out of the past scene and she stood up to reach for the box. As soon as her fingers touched it, a wave of longing and nostalgia hit her like a crashing wave trying to drown her and she had to support herself on the chair beside the desk.

When her mind got straight, she walked back to the bed with the box, laying it down in front of her, a sigh escaped her lungs and she had to argue with herself for a little while to see if it was worth it remembering what happened a long time ago. After all, you shouldn’t hang on the past for too long.

She opened the box and bit her lips anxiously as she reached for the piece of paper wrapped with a pink cloth at the corner of the box. As soon as she unwrapped the cloth and laid out the paper in front of her, her heart constricted and tears started forming inside her tear buds.

You are my perfect girlfriend.

You are my perfect boyfriend.

I love you.

I love you!

So this actually worked?

Yes it did work baby, I love you.”

Ella’s smiling eyes went through the scribbling that was written down during biology class two and a half years ago, when Noah decided to tell her about his love for her.

Noah was the best friend. He was the type who would see through her smiles and grab her away from the crowd to cheer her up. He was the type who messages her every time she feels lonely as if he read her mind. He always teased her when she was PMSing because he thought of himself as too funny and too lovely when he annoyed her like that.

He was the one who made her day, who made her week and who raised her confidence more and more.

Without him, she could have never learned the ‘secrets’ of controlling the guys in front of her with just a wink.

A tear escaped her and fell on the paper causing the ink to smear. Ella wiped her eyes ignorant of the fact that the letter was mostly ruined now, as soon as her eyes fell on the paper, a gasp escaped her and she frantically wiped the tear away from the paper using her blanket. As a result, the paper got so wet that it cut in the process.

At this point, Ella was sobbing frantically because seeing that past wiped away was hurting her too much.

She spent the rest of her day crying over the cut paper and she even locked the box and kept it in her cupboard.

As she stared at the sun setting, a frown showed on her forehead and she noticed that she had no idea how long she had been sitting here. After a lot of thinking, she reached the resolve that what she missed wasn’t her romantic relationship with Noah, but the genuine friendship with him. And due to her deep sorrows and doubts, her heart kind of led her blindly to a road where she started feeling angry at how Maryanne was the one who pushed them into this puddle of pretense. If she didn’t convince them into going out, they would have been best friends as ever…