#04 New Heights

❃ ❀ ❈ ❁ ✾ ❉ ✿ • — ♡ — • ✿ ❉ ✾ ❁ ❈ ❀ ❃

Saying our goodbyes to Felix who heads back to his car, we walk into the lobby area. Several security guards check us out suspiciously, Jackson greets everyone with a slight bow. No one questions us, which means he probably had gotten pre-approval. Without letting him know, I respect that he was responsible enough to plan ahead.

We make our way into one of the elevators that's already being held for us by a security member. Jackson thanks him and I shyly acknowledge their kind manner with a head nod before he leaves us.

"Floor 28." He tells me. I scan the panel for the number and press it noticing it's the highest number available.

"Are you sure this is okay?" I ask again feeling like a burden, nerves twisting in my gut.

"For the last time, yes." He sighs removing his blue tinted sunglasses and rubbing his eyes. "Namjoon and I go way back, we are currently working on a big project together." He informs. "I've been crashing here before I sold my old apartment."

"What's he like?" I ask genuinely curious of the person I'm about to intrude on. The elevator opens with a ring, and we exit dragging along my noisy suitcases.

"He's a good guy," His tone becomes serious as we walk to the only door on this floor. "Y/N. I know I'm the one who brought you here, so I feel responsible for you now, and I don't want to be annoying— not that I think he will, or you, but—"

"But what?" I stop in my tracks and glare at him.

He adjusts my duffel bag on his shoulder. "But— just, don't get close to him, okay?" He demands sternly. "Again, he's a good guy and stuff, but he can be a dog sometimes. Most of the time." He corrects.

He tenses awaiting my reaction as I release the handle of my bag and cross my arms. "A dog?" I repeat with a chuckle. "Why are you assuming I—"

"Y/N! I'm being serious." He urges cutting me off. "Just this one rule, I'm warning you because I care. End of conversation." Jackson stammers relaxing his shoulders and continues to the large grey door. He's really acting like a brother, and I don't know how I feel about it. I decide not to argue, after everything that's happened, I get why he's being protective.

He opens a keypad and executes a pattern of numbers. Opening the door, a chime echos noisily. "Come on in." He invites.

• ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ • —♡— • ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ •

The apartment is modern and the perfect example of a bachelor pad. I admire the simple walls and smooth epoxy flooring. When entering I pass under a sparkling chandelier, crystals hang in layers above me.

"Joonie!" Jackson calls out. A few seconds later a tall guy appears from behind a wall and into the hallway. He's fashioning a casual black tee and grey sweatpants, simple attire, but he's undoubtedly a handsome man. He has shiny brown hair and a nicely built figure. My stepbrother tackles the guy almost causing him to fall backwards. "I'm home baby." He teases playfully.

Jackson is rarely ever serious, and I'm glad he's back to his normal habits after experiencing his mature manner a minute ago.

His friend and I make eye contact.

"I'm Namjoon, but you can call me Joon." His voice vibrates through me, it was way deeper than expected. He attempts to greet me more formally but struggles with Jackson clinging onto him like a newborn koala.

"Hello." I wave shyly not sure if he noticed my action due to a giant head blocking his vision.

"It's nice to finally meet Jackson's little sister." He battles Jackson looking slightly embarrassed as if it's something I never witnessed before.

"Nice to meet the guy who is patient enough to be friends with— that." I gesture to the annoying human.

Namjoon gives a deep chuckle creating small dimples on his cheeks, he aggressively pats the guy on the back. "Yeah, a lot of patience is needed. Let me show you around." He insists while elbowing Jackson in the ribs.

He gives me a small tour while Jackson invades the high-end kitchen. A wall with bottles of wine display stylishly near it. To my right is an open concept living area, a few couches face a very nice entertainment center including a leveled stage. A beautiful grand piano is positioned diagonally in a corner. There is a second level which he claims leads to two bedrooms and his private studio. Opposite of the entrance are massive windows leading out to a balcony showcasing the indigo sky. I want to go out there and see the view, but I don't want to explore around like I own the place. Regardless, I'm completely stunned by the unfamiliar luxury.

"Come outside." He must have noticed my vision linger to the outdoor space.  Namjoon walks past me and pushes a button on the wall.

The sliding glass doors automatically move aside slowly. I step onto the balcony and realize how big it is. Comfy looking furniture styles the area, a fancy looking hot tub is located on my right, and to my left a cute gathering of healthy-looking plants.

"It's really nice up here." I speak my mind walking closer to the edge to take in the view.

"It's peaceful." He chimes. "I come out here to de-stress from all the chaos."

Dozens of buildings present before me, a wide river below, some lights reflect on the water like bright stars due to the early risers starting their day. I tremble, not sure if it's from the height or the cool early morning breeze.

From my peripheral, I can tell my handsome host is watching me, he rests his arms on the half wall that keeps us safe from falling below. I look up at Namjoon who is a about a foot away from me. "You're welcome to come out here whenever you want." He smiles.

"Thanks." I return the expression.

"JOONIE!" Jackson calls in the distance.

Savoring the beauty a few moments longer, I drag myself back indoors. The smell of pizza fills my senses and Jackson holds out a slice in front of my face. He childishly attacks me with it as I plea for him to go away.

A few feet away, I catch Namjoon holding both of my heavy suitcases in each hand putting an end to the duel with my stepbrother.

"No please, I can do that." I rush to him. "Are you sure you're okay with this? I really don't want to intrude. I can find a cheap hotel." I attempt to retrieve my belongings. Jackson signs loudly behind me.

"I'm the one who suggested it, so I can confidently say I'm okay with it." He flashes his perfect teeth leaving me distracted.

He begins to head down a small hallway near the kitchen and I nervously follow.

• ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ • —♡— • ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ •

This chapter and next chapter I wrote almost a year ago, just added some things and changed a few details. It's difficult for me to write things in order, it was a mission to finally get to this point and have it come together and make sense. I hate writing beginnings. -.-