#02 Dark Places

❃ ❀ ❈ ❁ ✾ ❉ ✿ • — ♡ — • ✿ ❉ ✾ ❁ ❈ ❀ ❃

1 MONTH AGO

New Message 2:32 am
Answer the phone dummy!!

Does he realize what time it is over here?

I force my phone in the back pocket of my jeans before opening the front door. The lights are off and it's completely silent. I lock up behind me and set my keys quietly on the keyholder. With light footsteps, I make my way up the stairs and notice the bare walls that once held a collection of our family photos. It doesn't feel like the home I grew up in anymore. Entering the hallway, I see a blue light illuminating from my stepmother's room knowing she keeps the TV on and muted while she sleeps, I assume not to feel alone.

Ding!

"Fuck off." I whisper to myself highly annoyed.

Hoping the incoming text message didn't disturb my stepmother, I reach my way to the end of the hall stepping into the guest room I've been living in for the past four months. I navigate around the boxes that I know are hidden in the darkness. Too lazy to turn on the lamp, I decide to just collapse on the bed and stare at the dark abyss above me.

My mind floods with all the fucked up things that happened, leaving me feeling confused, negative and constantly drained. This new bartending job is a fail. Two weeks in and I already want to quit.

Ding!

I groan in frustration lifting my butt off the mattress to retrieve the noisy device. Squinting from the brightness of the screen I read the notifications.

New Message 2:34am
I want to show you how the place is coming along.

New Message 2:35am
VIDEO CHAT!

Just what I need, someone to rub their success in my face. Ignoring the messages, I scroll aimlessly through my social media accounts. Acquaintances traveling to Hawaii, a bad tempered ex co-worker engaged, a friend from high school having a baby, influencers with hot bodies, more babies, plant dad...

My screen freezes for a split second and darkens notifying me of an incoming video call from the person I've been avoiding. I sigh giving in.

"Good afternooooon." He sings off key before the video captures his surroundings.

A bright and beautiful cityscape captures my attention, the video pans slowly to the left letting me absorb the breathtaking view which seems to be from a very high place. Suddenly, the image switches and I'm staring at my stepbrother's big ass head fashioning a vibrant red beanie. I scrunch my face with disgust.

"Do you like it?" He smiles like a proud little boy.

"Um, I guess... where are you?" I whisper shifting myself to rest on my stomach.

"It's the view from my new place." He chuckles egoistically. "I mean look at this shit, it's amazing." He shouts the last part making me quickly lower my volume.

"Why are you so loud? Shut up, your mom is sleeping!" I snap.

Recognizing my hostility, I try to recover from my outburst. His mom confided to me how excited he was about this. "It's nice."

"Sorry, I just really wanted you to see this." He calms his voice angling the camera at himself. He wears an expensive silk shirt matching the color of his beanie, looking past him, I notice large rows of windows capturing a faint reflection of the tall distant buildings. "How's everything going over there?" He asks rubbing his neck with his free hand.