Chapter 5 - Insanity

To Serena's comfort, the ride back to the city is a quiet one. As Sawyer drives through the roads, she can't help but wonder just how much of the city Ash owns. When they arrive to her place on the outskirts of town, the sea of buildings and billboards; the whole atmosphere in general, is breathtaking once again. It's surreal to think of how far Ash's reach goes, the heart of Lumiose City in his capable hands, and the fact that it could fall with a snap of his fingers. It's kind of exhilarating to know that she walked on the streets that belonged to him.

"Hello, Earth to Serena," someone says who Serena knew far too short to already be irritated with the sound of their voice. "Are you coming or just standing there like a frog on a log?"

Smartass.

Serena rolls her eyes and pushes away from the railing across the street and meets Miette, sharing the same irritated look as one another. Serena notices a large black case in Miette's hands and she raises an eyebrow with a question on her tongue.

"So, what's up with the case?"

"I'll be covering for you." Miette huffs and she speaks out a warning with a grin, a salacious wink coming after. "Try not to get hit in the crossfire, will you?"

"The hell? Crossfire?" Serena repeats incredulously, holding back the urge to sock that look off Miette's face.

The black case gets slung over Miette's shoulder as she then makes a finger gun, her thumb mocking a safety lock, pointing at Serena's face. This woman was giving her many reasons as to why the palm of her hand, itching to slap it away, should do just that.

"Cuzzo doesn't want to take any chances, but just because you're his new pet, don't think I'll keep my eyes off you," Miette threatens, a sneer on her lips. Her hand falls away and shifts to settling on her hip. "If you cause the boss any trouble, you'll be dealing with me. Got it?"

Serena can feel her jaw grind and she won't admit that she understands. They're close, after all. But this particular cousin has a way of rubbing her the wrong way. She turns swiftly on her heels to join Sawyer and calls back to a retreating Miette.

"Shiver me timbers," she says boredly.

Miette makes a 'tch' sound and Sawyer watches the whole exchange with a nervous smile as Serena closes the distance between them. He bows to her and reports. "Cilan and Dawn will be along shortly."

Serena tilts her head. "With what exactly?"

Her question is answered when an unmarked moving van parks just behind the escort car she arrived in. The passenger door springs open and there's an excited shout that fills the clear air.

"Hey, Serena! It's me, Dawn!"

The woman perks up at the voice and smiles once she turns to the one it belonged to. "How could I forget? It's great to see you. You'll be the one helping me out, I'm assuming?"

Dawn nods earnestly with an easy smile on her face. "Of course! No need to worry. Me and Cilan will make sure you get back safely."

"Who's this Cilan person?" Serena wonders out loud.

"Everyone's favorite connoisseur at your service, ma'am," a cheerful voice says and Serena is greeted with the sight of a tall man with neatly kept green hair, skin that looks as smooth as marble floor. She had to get his facial routine as soon as possible. At first sight it may not seem as such, but his whole presence is swirled in the hold of a flavorable, unshakable strength.