Chapter 24 - An Entrance to Hell

The advance through the forest is a quiet one, the moon fleeting over the silence where it peeks through the canopy. The speckles of light swim over Serena's determined expression as she weaves across the shrubbery and between the trees. She hums quietly to herself in a satisfactory tone on the occasion that she jumped over a passed out guard that was hidden within the vegetation.

Just before the clearing, all squads come to a stop and Serena can see a building up ahead. It reminds her of their own base back home, but in a more sickly extravagance that its hiding place in the forest isn't enough to quell her disgust. It's decorated in black and gold, with statues of snarling mythical creatures as the corners of the walls, topped with spikes to prevent anyone from scaling them. A boy's gaudy attempt at a castle and posing as it's king.

From above she hears the rustle of the leaves and she's met with Miette's familiar ruby eyes in the dark. On the other trees beside her, several of their own have scopes pointed towards the building while waiting for their orders. The blue haired woman hops down from her perch to land in front of Serena.

"There's patrols around the perimeter of the building along with guards stationed at the main door and the front gate. Looks like we'll need a thumbprint to bypass the first one," Miette informs, shouldering her gun.

Serena nods. "In that case, Cilan and I will take them out then-"

"Hold it, boss. Don't worry about a thing. Brock and I have this one," Gary interrupts from her side, running a hand through his brown hair with a grin stretching over his lips in anticipation of the fight to come.

"As soon as the gates are open, the guards at the main door will be focused on that. Miette and her sniper guard will take them down and hold the line for any reinforcements from off base or any who try to escape. At that point, Dawn and Misty along with the remaining squads will flood through and create a diversion. We make enough noise and the rats will come crawling out to play," Brock explains with a sly grin that matches Gary's playful one.

"We'll use that opportunity to enter the main building and find Ash," Cilan finishes.

Serena takes a moment to absorb the plan and the group around her seems firm and confident in their decisions. She can't help but be worried, though she knows there isn't a better plan that she could come up with on the spot. She inhales slowly to settle her nerves because there isn't any time to waste.

"Go. He's waiting for us," Serena commands and the two men are more than happy to oblige.

She holds her breath as the brown haired demon strides across the grassy plain to the fool king's gate. Brock lays in the shadows, following where it swells on the grass as he flanks Gary's position out of sight. The guards take notice of Gary's presence immediately.

"Stop! Who the hell are you? This is private property!"

"Man, what sort of goons are they hiring these days? You don't know who I am?" Gary taunts.

"You'll be dead if you don't leave. This is your final warning," the guard growls, jabbing his gun into the open air as a threat.

Gary snickers as he tuts in mock disappointment. "Well, you snooze, you lose, and that's where you're wrong because-" Gary charges forward, immediately ducking and taking hold of the guard's wrist and twisting, locking the safety before he can pull the shot.

In one smooth motion, his arm cracks in an unnatural way and Gary laughs as he muffles the guard's cry of pain with his own palm. The whole attack happens so quickly that the guard's partner barely has time to react before the heel of Brock's boot rams into the back of his knees, causing him to buckle to the grass and freeze the moment he feels a gun barrel press into the back of his neck.

"-those might seem to be your final words instead," Brock concludes, the smile on his face curving up to his eyes.

Gary pulls the rifle from his back as he throws the guard to the ground before shoving the metal barrel right between his teeth. He wheezes around the blood and to make matters worse, Gary pins him with a boot to his chest as he leans over, his green eyes darkening with a deadly mix of playfulness and promises of torture.

"Now, which one of you is going to open the gate? If you don't volunteer, we'll just kill you instead and use the corpse to let us in."

The fear expands in their eyes as the demons' amusement only feeds off the sentiment. Shakily, the guard Brock has hostage drops his weapon and slowly raises his hand. "I-I'll do it. Please, we'll do anything you ask."

Brock nudges him forward with the gun and the guard stands to reach for the gray pad beside the gate. A sweaty thumb presses to the glass as it gleams red and there's a lock that releases before the gate starts to slowly shift apart. He turns expectantly to Brock and is greeted with an approving nod that lets a small bit of hope bloom on his face.

Brock's expression holds a grin at the end of the barrel he raises. "Damn amateurs."

Two shots go off and the guards fall, blood spattering to the bladed edges of the grass. Serena watches the scene unfold into hellfire before her eyes from smoldering embers to a full blown blaze as the gates finally part and steel bullets rain from what seems like the heavens as Miette and her snipers take their aim and fire. The guards at the main door fall with bullets between their eyes and from various places within the complex, Giovanni's lackeys appear and the bullets don't stop flying from all directions. The rest of the squads rush in and the war parts like a wave.

"Time to roll out."