Chapter 11 - Distance between Us

The cruise ship they board a few days later is insanely huge, towering in countless flights that sparkle like stars on the reflection of the ocean below. Serena is escorted onto the ship with Dawn and Misty at her sides, donning tailored dresses in shades of red and black with their pins glinting against the dark lapels of their coats.

Serena herself is dressed in a sleeved velvet black dress with a rigid line to the shoulders. The neckline dances on the porcelain skin of her sharp collar bones before plunging to the ample swell of her chest. The same blue pendant Ash gave her rests against her sternum, cool to the touch and a dangerous reminder. The expensive fabric hugs the slender hourglass curves of her waist that's buckled by a thin plated belt before draping into an alluring royal flutter around her heels. The dress is slit up to her upper thigh, revealing toned legs that strut in a pair of crimson red stilettos with every bold step she takes.

On the corner of her eye, she feels pointed stares from strangers no doubt trailing up and down her figure that she does her best to ignore. Or at least, she does her best not to make them cry with pointed, wounding words. She sees some familiar faces, mostly operatives that are stationed at different places throughout the ship with ear pieces equipped and pins on their own suits.

"My god, it feels like the entire population of Kalos is on this ship," Serena says aloud.

"It can feel like that on your first event, but there's no need to don't worry, we'll stick together," Dawn says brightly and her positivity, as well as being a close friend now, makes Serena smile. Misty nods from beside her in agreement.

"Nothing to worry about around here. We have guards stationed everywhere if anything were to happen," Misty says almost boredly. "It's mostly just people here to flaunt their wealth hoping to gain Ash's favor, and eventually, take a seat in the upper ring."

"The upper ring?" Serena repeats, waiting for an explanation.

"Since Ash owns the biggest city of Kalos, anyone with money knows his name, though, not his last name," Misty explains further, a hand going to her hip. "No one outside of the Demons knows where he comes from. They just know he's absolute."

"He doesn't want to be associated with Ketchums like Giovanni," Serena surmises, remembering what Misty had told her before.

"Along the lines of that, yeah," Misty answers vaguely and Serena decides not to ask while she continues, "He'll probably make an appearance before the event begins, but we'll be in charge of guarding the conference room while he speaks with the head of law enforcement, the Prime Minister, and the Army General."

Before Serena can comment anymore, the banquet hall opens up to her in a wave of music, glittering chandelier structures that nearly blind her vision, and the bustle of wealthy individuals clinking champagne glasses through bouts of laughter. The tables are decorated in silk and centerpieces of rare flowers that stretch for lengths down the enormous venue.

Servers stand ready on the outer perimeter, while the line to the bar is already growing. Serena doesn't drink much, but she feels like a stiff one would definitely help with how out of place she feels. She's swarmed by this realm that makes her feel as though she's mingling amongst the gods in the clouds of the marbled floor.

Dawn and Misty keep moving forward and soon they're by the stage before they veer off into the wings. It's then she sees more familiar faces, that of Miette who is carrying a weapons case on her back in her cocktail dress, along with Gary and Brock who are talking animatedly amongst themselves. Brock sees the question in Serena's eyes before she even speaks it. He tilts his chin in the direction of a closed door.

"Boss is in there. He's looking for you," he says kindly while Gary miserably fails to hide a smug grin. Miette only rolls her eyes and Brock cuts his gaze to her. "And dont you have somewhere to be, Miette? Can't snipe troublemakers from this vantage point, can you?"