Chapter 32 - Found

Serena decides that normal isn't truly anything that could exist in their world. The recruits are tested and tested again before settling into their roles with ease. The contracts the Demons hold begin to stabilize and expand, and the base gets larger and larger, with new construction projects slowly adding onto the existing estate.

Many things change, but there are some things that remain the same.

Lunch dates stay a tradition with the trio. Serena still gets annoyed when they can't settle on a place, Misty still gets just as irritated when it's always left to her to navigate, and Dawn never learns her lesson from eating far too much food than her "iron stomach" can handle.

That day, they settle on a family restaurant that speaks highly of its passed down recipe famous in the city. They eat together wholeheartedly, sharing stories of simpler things from high school days and their families.

The moment is interrupted when Misty catches suspicious shadows knocking over garbage cans in an alleyway and a muffled shout that even penetrates the glass of the restaurant.

"What the hell?" Misty says and points out. "Guys, look over there."

Serena takes in the situation at a glance and groans, throwing her napkin down. "Seriously? Today and now of all times? I wanted to get dessert too."

Dawn cracks her knuckles, ready for a fight. "More room for dessert once we're finished. Lets hit up that tasty looking stand on our way back."

The trio rushes out the door, Misty leaving more than enough cash to cover the bill on the table. They skid into the alleyway to find some delinquents, only a few years younger than them and dressed in baggy clothes, beating down on another shopkeeper.

"Hey!" Serena shouts angrily while Dawn and Misty close in.

The delinquents turn and narrow their eyes. "Who the hell are you?"

"Oh, Serena, it's you!" The shopkeep pipes up in relief from where he had been released. Serena doesn't recognize him personally, but the territories have been appraised of another leader within the Demons gang. "Take care of these youngsters, would you?"

"Shut up, old man, and give us all your money!" A grunt from the back threatens.

"The quicker this is over with, quicker we get our dessert!" Dawn says, landing a clean right hook into the leader's jaw while Misty follows up with a kick directly into another's solar plexus.

The shakedown ends without a struggle that Serena almost feels bad for beating down on thugs so inexperienced. She speed dials her contact for the Lumiose City PD and the trio lingers, Misty and Dawn helping the old man up from the ground, and tending to his injuries as Serena keeps a lookout.

A squad car rolls up not long after and Cilan steps out of the driver's side.

"Serena, I didn't think you would be on duty today," Cilan comments, nodding to the other officer to move to arrest the culprits.

Serena sighs. "I wouldn't be if this bunch didn't stir up trouble. We were just having lunch too and I was about to order dessert."

Dawn and Misty join Serena, and Dawn rubs her stomach. "Now that I think about it, I can eat even more dessert. We were thinking of that stand."

Cilan hums. "The one close by? They do have some exquisite desserts. Make sure to save some for Gary or you won't hear the end of it. Enjoy the rest of your day and leave this to us."

They listen to Cilan and bring extras back to headquarters, tossing bags to Gary, Brock, Miette, and Ash upon their return.

"What took you so long?" Ash asks.